Sourcing pulley

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipFlop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello I have decided to begin my planning on converting to an alternator. Who is Bill or Dan or whom or where and what is the best type and place to get the crank pulleys. I have seen a lot of chatter on blue prints and people who make them but very little if any reference to the GL1000's even then very old threads or they dead end. Once I get the intake dialed in this is my next thing and when out OTR is when I source my parts. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Dan has posted the plan to have the pulley made. Pretty sure it will fit both 1000 and 1100. You will however need a longer crank bolt.

I believe the 1000 takes a smaller hole in the pulley. When LB had the pulleys made he had 1 1000 and it took a different hole.

If someone does get the pulley made I am very interested in a 1100 pulley also.

Wilcoy is correct the Gl 1000 uses a 10 x 28 pulley bolt. The GL 1200 uses a 12 x 28. Only difference I know of. Your original bolt will need to be replaced with one a little longer if you use the plans to build one.

I was fortunate enough to end up with one of the original ten- 4” aluminumnpulleys that we’re built in San Antonio, Tx. When I installedthe pulley I was concerned that the key from the center timing belt pulley barey caught the slot in the new aluminum 4” pulley. I took the outer timing belt pulley and flipped it over and it caught much more of the key way on the new pulley. It has been on the bike for at least four years but has never had a belt put on it. Everything is ready to just bolt on and plug in an alternator though.

Interesting on the flip over of the timing pulley guessing that made it closer to the cover eh? I am thinking I will build my own but at least took a poke at if they were around already made on someone's shelf.

The key is probably not that critical on the alternator drive pulley and should hold fine with correct tension on the bolt.

My first alternator install I used a power steering pulley off an '85 or so Honda Prelude. Found some bearings with a 12 mm centre and 3 - 1/8 inch thick washers for the crank pulley. Here's some photos of my install on the first bike:
Crank Pulley 1.jpg
Crank Pulley and Spacer.jpg
Crank Pulley Parts.jpg
This has worked well on my first bike. I have done the alt mod on my second '85 LTD but had found and purchased a Poorboy crank pulley. It is a 3 1/2 inch diameter pulley compared to the 4 inch power steering pulley.

Here's another picture I have saved from my perusing the forums:
Crank Pulley.jpg

Good luck.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203025#p203025:2hsx4vio said:
Rednaxs60 » 5 minutes ago[/url]":2hsx4vio]
My first alternator install I used a power steering pulley off an '85 or so Honda Prelude. Found some bearings with a 12 mm centre and 3 - 1/8 inch thick washers for the crank pulley. Here's some photos of my install on the first bike:View attachment 3View attachment 2View attachment 1 This has worked well on my first bike. I have done the alt mod on my second '85 LTD but had found and purchased a Poorboy crank pulley. It is a 3 1/2 inch diameter pulley compared to the 4 inch power steering pulley.

Here's another picture I have saved from my perusing the forums:

Good luck.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I like! :rocks: