LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 12:52 am
Who Is Online: Ohara ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Alternator Conversion

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#16  Unread postPosted: April 5th, 2016, 6:49 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 978
Active Topics: 63

Total Images: 5
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 12:52 am
My Bike Models: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 (sold)

Profile Personal album

I haven't seen anyone mention the 12V sense wire at the regulator. There is a black wire at the regulator that is from the bikes electrical system, this wire is letting the regulator know what voltage the system is operating at. The 'sense wire goes through connectors and switches before the regulator. A simple test to verify its function, is to measure battery '+' voltage and the sense wire voltage. Using your Volt number above, battery '+' = 11.7, the sense wire needs to be within .5V or less of that batt V number. This is just one more charging health circuit test. I doubt the sense wire is at a higher than Batt V, but if it were the system won't charge the battery properly.

I found information regarding the sense wire for the RR on the GWDocs forum. As you mention and I agree with, the sense wire also supplies power to a host other items and the voltage getting to the RR through this wire could be significantly less than what is actual at the battery. This in essence could cause an overcharging of the battery if the difference is great enough because if the RR senses a low voltage at the battery even if it is not the RR will allow the appropriate current/voltage to flow to top up the battery to the "perceived" level. If there is a 1 to 2 VDC drop through the wiring/connectors at the RR, this should be constant as the battery is charged and the end charge will be 1 to 2 VDC higher than necessary.

This also applies to the coils as well. The wire from the kill switch providing 12VDC power to the coils also provides power to other items and the voltage getting to the coils can be less than 12 VDC resulting in a weaker spark.

I put in a relay that is switched on with the wire from the kill switch so that the bike shuts down when the switch is used. The 12 VDC power comes from a fuse block and each wire (one to the coils and one to the RR) is fused and is a truer 12 VDC reading than through the existing and old wiring and connectors. My theory is that I have better spark from the coils, and the RR and charging circuit is operating as it is supposed to.

I read a post where a fellow took the old stator-RR wiring connector to a friends lab after he removed it from his bike and soldered the respective wires. The lab results indicated that the conducting ability of the connectors had degraded some 50% from original over the 30 some years the connector had been installed. It was an interesting post.

Cheers

"When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#17  Unread postPosted: April 5th, 2016, 6:59 am

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 20782
Active Topics: 825

Total Images: 4096
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 12:52 am
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
2018 Ducati V4S
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Any time the resistance is reduced things run happier for sure.
Was the case when I replaced the fuse panel with a blade type, and put a relay on its main feed, all the lights got brighter.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#18  Unread postPosted: April 5th, 2016, 7:29 am

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5856
Active Topics: 165

Total Images: 375
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 4:52 am
My Bike Models: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 19,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 63,000

1996 CN250 Helix -27,000
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=126

Profile Personal album

Any time the resistance is reduced things run happier for sure.
Was the case when I replaced the fuse panel with a blade type, and put a relay on its main feed, all the lights got brighter.

This reminded me I forgot to install the relay... :head bang:

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#19  Unread postPosted: April 5th, 2016, 7:47 am

Topic author

Total Posts: 8
Active Topics: 2

Total Images: 2
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 2:52 am
My Bike Models: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Profile Personal album

I haven't seen anyone mention the 12V sense wire at the regulator. There is a black wire at the regulator that is from the bikes electrical system, this wire is letting the regulator know what voltage the system is operating at. The 'sense wire goes through connectors and switches before the regulator. A simple test to verify its function, is to measure battery '+' voltage and the sense wire voltage. Using your Volt number above, battery '+' = 11.7, the sense wire needs to be within .5V or less of that batt V number. This is just one more charging health circuit test. I doubt the sense wire is at a higher than Batt V, but if it were the system won't charge the battery properly.

Different idea, I noticed you stated when it was "hot" it wouldn't start. If you let it cool down will it start ok, without trickle charging? If so, could be the carbon has built up inside the starter, and the starter is in need of a rebuild/cleaning.

Just other things to keep in mind :)

It does not start up cold either.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 12:52 am