alternator- for the conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we all know I have another 83 1100.

Now I am back to doing a conversion.
I can not find an alternator that I used the first time around.

Can any one tell me if this alt wil work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112134809734?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I have not gotten around to ordering a pulley yet. Will probably take the blue prints up the end of this week to get it made. Any one want a pullet made while I am getting this one made?

Thanks for letting me know if you think this alt will work. OR do you know which one will work. I want to avoid a one wire alt.

the problem wes is the cam spins a have the speed of crank pulley ....and wouldnt charge good maybe ...but there is a guy who did it ...hmmm cant think of his name right now but we converse thhrough pm every once in awhile...he also has SCC with the dft on it and is quite satisfied with that too...so maybe he will see this and post ...he tells me his charging set up works great

hmmmm 81goldwing is his forum name i think

2 reason I wouldn't use the cam to drive it. Turns way too slow, and puts a lot of extra stress on the cam belt.
Believe it or not, an alternator asked to put out 40 to 50 amps takes quite a bit of force to turn the alt pulley at speed.

Not only that covers/ guards become an issue and you are putting more stress on the cam seal and bearing. :(

Attachments

• 51LQOUw09RL._SX425_.jpg
    51LQOUw09RL._SX425_.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC08031.JPG
    DSC08031.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 409
Did the alt mod on my '85 LTD and not only pushed out the bottom of the rad, but also the top by about 1/2 inch. Minimizes the amount of modification needed regarding the fan. Can't tell that the rad has been pushed out unless you knew about it.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181302#p181302:26oiw6dw said:
Rednaxs60 » 9 minutes ago[/url]":26oiw6dw]
Did the alt mod on my '85 LTD and not only pushed out the bottom of the rad, but also the top by about 1/2 inch. Minimizes the amount of modification needed regarding the fan. Can't tell that the rad has been pushed out unless you knew about it.

Cheers
Same way I did mine. It allowed for no mods needed to the fan.

Interesting. I do recall struggling a bit with the fan frame mods on my 1200. Had to remove one leg and trim the shroud. I also now bitterly recall having to pull the darn fan again and take more material off because it was rubbing. I guess we suppress unpleasant memories. Wish I knew then that popping out the top of the radiator would help avoid some of that nonsense.

I still have the complete photo record of my conversion. One thing is for sure, it is really tight under there.