My SCC adventure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the other active thread on a leaking solex. I'm going to add the other washer in my rebuild kit to lower the float height. That may be an issue or a combination of that and the accelerator pump.

cmyoch":1f4xbnxp said:
OOOOOHHHHHH!! she's wanting to run. I got a continuous low idle at 2 turns out.

I quickly shut it off because I noticed some fuel pooling under the bike. It was leaking at the joint between the left side manifold and muffler. I pulled the oil cap and didn't smell fuel in the oil. I'm wondering if all the pumping prior today filled the manifold with raw gas and it ran into the left side exhaust manifold because it leans to that side on the side stand?

EDIT: I pulled the spark plugs and turned the bike over. No fuel sprayed out of the head. It does drip out of the manifold still. I may let it sit outside in the sun for a while to try to evaporate what's in there.

Also, could the accelerator pump be a culprit? I believe that pumps raw fuel straight down the carb into the manifold. Maybe it's adjusted to high (if it's adjustable that is).

Mine runs richer on the left side even on a center stand, but mine also isn't right still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm might be leaking air on that side some ....if the stock horns are being used ..try loosening the clamp and bolts on that side ....tighten to head first ...then tighten rubber intake ...might seal that side better

I put the extra washer on the float needle that came with the kit. My accel pump screw is set at the middle of that bracket. I'm also wondering now that maybe I pumped too much fuel into the manifold earlier when I was trying to get it to run. Either way, I will move that screw to the extreme end like the one in brianpa's post.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194522#p194522:e7qvwsgl said:
brianinpa » August 9th, 2017, 5:38 am[/url]":e7qvwsgl]
Where is this setting at also?

709786.jpg

If it isn't in the middle, try it there. If it is in the middle, move it to one extreme and then the other to see if there is a change, but the accel pump should only be pumping fuel in with a twist of the throttle.

I cannot get my pump adjusted. First thing I noticed is that my adjuster is oriented the opposite way than yours is. Is this something I can reorient and adjust on the bike or should I remove the carb altogether?

I loosened the set screw but the adjuster does not move either direction. Is there a trick to adjust this?

That wasn't mine but rather a picture on the Web somewhere. For mine, I just lose ed the screw and slid it, but I think I read something about there being a different type of adjustment on the older model carbs, like a serrated teeth.

I shot too soon. Research showed that the adjuster is oriented a couple different ways depending on the model years of the solex. My adjuster was tight due to probably never being adjusted. I managed to adjust it to the lighter side and will test. I'm hoping it's not a faulty carb that is the issue. I really expected it to fire up immediately when I had it hooked up at first.

No, I never considered that. I tested it off the bike at 12v direct from the battery. It appeared to operate correctly but was only cycled on and off a handful of times.

If I eliminate it, what thread sizes plug can I use? Is there such a thing?

It appears to be the original solenoid. The guy who I got the carb from originally told me that guys cut off the post to bypass the unit. I'm sure he has other ones laying around I can cut off and try.

I contacted the guy who I purchased the carb from. He has a box of non working solenoids, half of which have the post cut off. I'm swinging by after work today to grab one and try.

I may have found my issue. I shut the fuel flow off and started the bike by manually manipulating the throttle without the spring. It fired and ran beautifully. When I turned the valve back on, I happened to look down at the carb just as a big belch of fuel came out the tube (vent tube? emulsion tube?) on the top of the carb.

Carb2.jpg

carb3.jpg

The bike immediately died. I think I may have found my issue. How can I correct this??

I found this on the Samba forum:

"The large brass tube facing up with the slashed cut end is the bowl vent tube. It allows air in/out of the fuel bowl. If the in flow of fuel into the fuel bowl is not stopped by the float and inlet valve, fuel tends to flow out from this tube while the fuel pump is working. The problem may not be the float or the inlet valve, but a fuel pump with too much pressure can overwhelm the inlet valve. "

I have a new factory replacement fuel pump. Surely it's not too powerful? Before I discovered this, I added the additional washer from my rebuild kit to lower the needle a minute fraction. Is there a fix? You think it is float height?

Pump should max out around 2 1/2 psi. I'd check the pressure first. If it does as you say and the pressure is indeed less than 3lb. I suspect the float valve doesn't seal. Might want to try another.
And verify the float does indeed float.

I guess I cannot assume the new one that came in the rebuild kit is functioning properly.

I was going to point you to the samba forum about the vent tube, but you already found it.

I forget... What fuel pump are you using: 1000 mechanical or 1200 electrical?

1000 mechanical. I pulled the top of the carb and hooked a vacuum pump to it. The valve is sealing properly. I have the 2 thin washers that came in my rebuild kit under the valve to lower it. I did that a while back before discovering this. Should I install a fuel filter on the fuel pump outlet side to possibly slow down pressure? I have a filter between the tank and the pump.

I should also note that the bike is on its side stand when I start it. I wouldn't think the carb not being level could affect it but maybe so in this case? If so, then cornering will be an issue when riding.