Spark level.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipFlop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:Egyptian:

ok as some noticed I have the SCC and was doing it prior to coming here or anywhere at that. Before I got the bike I told JP that this is what I was going to do, and I done just that. I bought one on Fleabay and got pissed and got it sorted then JP told me about Joedrum and well, I thought hey why not go to a sight with other creative thinkers too!

Anywho on with things. I have mine set up with the VW Solex variable clone. I chopped the electrical off it. Installed a manual choke and fixed the air cut off valve into the always on position. I have the Idle jet at a #60 and the main jet currently at a #135 and a #140 on order to see what it does.

It runs and Idles pretty good (about 1200 is where I like it so far it does go lower) and pretty happy with it, and it starts with minimal issues, due to still (at advice I read somewhere) to drill a hole in the choke plate, I have to be careful how much choke i give initially. Where I am at is I need to install new plugs and my initial kneejerk reaction was to put colder plugs in it.. as it was running lean, now that it is only slightly lean and soon to have more fuel going through it I am leaning in just doing stock 8's. However at the same time I am also looking at the idea of the whole project and something is telling me (the voices are in mah head bawhahaha) to get Hotter plugs. I am seeking thoughts and opinions of those in the know and of opinions of skill. I in the past was always of the opinion of replace hard parts with stock parts and maintain it in the stock dynamic so that parts are easy to identify and replace.

Another angle of plugs I was thinking, what are your thoughts on this, buying stock 8's and if they look good then try 9's? and get 7's and just put them all through the test and see how they do. The thing that scares me is I burned a hold in a piston once trying to solve a problem once of fouling plug, and it was such a perfect hole and is the worse place, on the interstate. Luckily that was a two stroke and easy to swap a jug and piston, not in the place to want to do that to Winger, as much as I like working on him not wanting to do that level yet, I want to ride it not replace my mistakes of cooked pistons.

So looking at input of plugs best approach on this matter. Stock dual points (with the upgraded extra ground set up from the CB450)

Bonus question, Also what is the SCC club stuff?

Attachments

• 321836_2850430417849_1686741790_o_zpsa43a3c9e.jpg
    321836_2850430417849_1686741790_o_zpsa43a3c9e.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF2120.JPG
    DSCF2120.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 157
I doubt there'd be any harm going a little cooler on the plugs. You could remove the thermostat and replace it with a summer restricter plate. It would slow warm up but keep the motor running cooler. Most I believe are still running the stock plugs. Message Dan and he'll add you to the single carb club.

Awesome, yeah figured as much on the spark plugs, but had to ask, however just put a shiny new official Honda thermostat in just a few weeks ago :)

I know I can buy off the shelf the 8's so will get those and will special order the 9's and give a report to how they act and look on their burn after and on equal runs.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203212#p203212:1cx0dkib said:
dan filipi » 43 minutes ago[/url]":1cx0dkib]
I added you to the single carb club :rocks:

Sweet thank you I had not had a chance to think about how to ask about it yet lol, but thank you :yahoo: :salute:

In other news I installed yesterday the new 8's rode it only about 40 or 50 miles and pulled them today to install the 9's and the 8's were black as pitch so was not expecting that. I fully expect the 9's to get blackened from seeing the 8's although the throttle response was pretty good with it.

Going to do some extensive riding next weekend 300+ miles to give the 9's a good run and pull over without idling to see them. I know in idle it is running rich as expected since it is such a low vacuum motor but very impressed so far with how it is running hoping to get the #140 main installed prior to the test also.

In the meantime: A short Video of my bike as it sits right now.

https://youtu.be/-8RJsjGsa3k

Thought to give a small update to this. I am running the 9's and GL1500 coils with a Dyna S e-ignition now. The entire procces is going to be tested again. I found out my coils were, weel the issue, although may not have been on a stock set up, could be an argument. The plug were black and after doing the coil install, even with the points in still, it ran better. After installing the Dyna S e-ignition road it and the black burned off to the nice beige I originally wanted to see. In my trip to Missouri next weekend I will be changing plugs to the 8's, changing my main jet back to the #135, and comparing it to my current on plug color and fuel economy. My goal is for performance/economy balance using the single carb set up.
Side note: I do like the way it rides now and potentially could leave it right where it is, but I like to fiddle with things.