GL1100 PVC Manifold and 34-3 outta box Carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkl

Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/sgbqcIoWurI[/video] MY 1981 Hobby, almost done. Sorry about the tach cable squeal.

Idle is set at 1050, optimum for this carb, on this engine,,,,,it will idle all day and never over heat. The Honda book says 950, but I don't think the Japanese envisioned a single German designed carb, that is manufactured in China, replaceing the four carbs on the Goldwing, that was designed for Americans.......go figure??????

Tore into drive train, greased drive splines, they were coated in dried out grease but looked ok, glad I checked. Finished welding up my fish tails, changed oil, and then took a three hour ride.
The 'SINGLE' LIFE IS GOOD.

P.S. Hope my wife doesn't read this........​

After I figure out IPAD, I will post video on Single PVC Manifold build. :builder:

Attachments

• SAM_0405.JPG
    SAM_0405.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,720
That is a Schedule 80 PVC Floor Flange glue fitting. The carb bolts to it securely. The rest of the fittings are all Sch 40. The runners are sch 40 Regular Flex Pvc. The 5 way cross is listed as furniture grade, but it also is a sch 40 pressure fitting--it is listed as furniture grade because it wil not pass plumbing code in some areas.. Not shown in first picture are the couplings that go inside the rubber boots, I cut the couplings in half and glued them on the end of the runners, they fit inside rubber boots a little loose but the boots clamp on them nicely with a hose clamp.....Every thing pictured is 1",,,,It is all available at Flex Pvc website, and a lot of other places.......When installed I cut a spacer from 1x4 board, glued thin rubber mat material on top, trimmed it to fit shape of cross, it rests on top of cooling tube fittings, and the manifold sits on top of spacer, this secures weight of carb.

Attachments

• SAM_0406.JPG
    SAM_0406.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,452
  • SAM_0407.JPG
    SAM_0407.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,455
  • 100_4506.JPG
    100_4506.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,449
  • SAM_0405.JPG
    SAM_0405.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,449
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126247#p126247:2ryagbec said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 am[/url]":2ryagbec]
nice and well thought out
Watch out Joe, more caveman tech....... :hihihi:

From a guy who always seems to have stock carb issues I welcome information like this. What confuses me on the single carb issue is what is the right set up to go with? There are several camps on the single carb swap. It gets confusing trying to filter through the options on carbs, manifolds and actual performance. Gotta thank the guys who take the time and effort to take on the challenge.

well i have travel a long road here in single carb tech ... number 1 problem as i see it tuna is sealing out air leaks ... this is not a slam post on anything ..but i must say it is my thought that getting rid of stock entake horns was a huge move ... everytime a system goes on or off its always a big deal sealing with 30plus yr old rubber parts ....with me it was the fact the changing environment is all i took for mine to start leaking air ... it was also a rubber to rubber connection ....i think thats the worse case deal ... pvc seems much better to deal with like this thread has going ....and past all this is carb set up as in dialing in ... we are all in this game of matching car carb to high revving bike motor ... with me it involved carb mods to carb along with jetting ....so the paths are many ... all my experience is with 2 bbl. carb ... and cant speak on single bbl. carb set ups .... i do like where i am at now i seem to have the set up that goes on and off easy and seals repeatedly ... on that issue if individual runners have flex in them ... they seem to seal easier ....this set up here in this thread seems to be very good way to get in the single carb game dkl has got this set up down good in my opinion and its not limited to single bbl carb ....a 1 to 2 transition piece could mount a weber dft 2 bbl. easy .....nice set up here in my book ... that said i am in a different place with huge runners of 1 1/2" ID size ... truth is tuna untill now it seems there has not been a collective environment for the single carb to grow in ... classic seems to be the place and its happening now ....

Heck ya, I have ridden it almost 800 miles. I have a 82 with good stock carbs, and the 81 with single carb set up. I finally got the fish tails welded up on both bikes so they are both naked and set up identically.
The stock bike runs perfect, and there is nothing better or smoother than a well running stock 1100.
That being said let me tell the tale on the single set up. It is cheap, less than $35 in fittings, the carb new was $95. This bike is made from left overs from three builds, I had no carbs, necessity is the mother of invention. This build will get ya on the road, cheaply, easily, and quickly.

The single idles fine, but has to be set higher, 1050 to 1100. It feels like it has more jump, or torque than stock. It will put you at the back of seat during acceleration, and I have not felt a lag, or dead spot in any gear, at any rpm....It runs like a scalded dog up to 80,,,,then it no longer has that torquey feel. It just gradually gets faster to 90, and that was enough for me. It was nowhere near redline, and had plenty of throttle left. High speed performance is the trade off, imo. But I am not a racer, I'm a sunday driver, this set-up fits me like a glove, 55 to 70 is my wheel house.......no synchin, no hydra-lockn, and no fear of ethanol....again I say....Single Life for Me....