Installing a PICT 34-3 carb on an 81 goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtwinger

Reaction score
I just completed building a intake manifold for my 81 goldwing out of PVC. I haven't done any glueing, but it seems to fit to gether quite well. I have purchased a PICT 34-3 VW carb. I would like to get information on the correct way to make all the connections. Choke, cables, any vacuum tubes, and how adjustments are correctly made on this carb. The carb is sitting on the new manifold ready to be attached.

Any discussion and information would be appreciated.

I have installed a Solex 34 PICT/3 VW Carb on my 81 Gl1100 and have it running. It seems to run well, but I haven't put a air filter on it or made any adjustments. It runs ab about 2000 rpm. I adjustment may solve this. I have directions for adjusting the carb on a VW.

What do I do with the vacuum coming from the back of the engine. It is not plugged or atttached anywhere to the carb at this time. Do I neet to hook up a wire on top to connect the auto choke?

any help or information would be appreciated.

Plug your vacuum line on the carb where the vacuum advance goes on a car. Vac line on the 81 is vac advance. Before you try adjusting the carb. Be sure there are no air leaks in the manifold anywhere. Once you are certain the setup is not sucking air in anywhere except through the carb inlet you can start adjusting the carb to run the motor. Lots of adjustment stuff in the single carb forum and well worth the time to read. :read:

Thanks for the information. Can you help me know how to find the place on the carb where the vac line plugs in? Can it be found by finding labeled parts in a picture?

mtwinger

If the line was not hooked up to the stock carbs it may have been leaking. I'd check the vac advance to see first. It will run without the vac advance.

The line has not ben connected. I'll make the connection and continue from there. Does the electricall wire connected to the round unit on the carb need to be connected. If so, is an ignition activated connection using the 12 volt auxalry on the buse box ok to use?

Round unit with wire at the top of the carb is probably the electric choke. Yes the aux connector can be used. It might be a 6volt unit if made for the old VW's but it will still work on 12volts.

There is an opening on the base of the carb without a tube in it. I took a tube from another VW carb I have and inserted it. The carb is on the bike, but the opening seemed to be open all the way into the carb throat. I installed the vac tube. Haven't started the engine yet. It is cold and raining today and I can't run the bike inside.
Thanks for your help.
mtsinger

I'd start with all the ports on the carb plugged and test for leaks. Test the vacuum advance for leaks also. if you have a vacuum gage hook it to one port at a time on the carb when the bike is running. the port that vacuum increases as the throttle opens is the one where the vac advance goes.

one more thing to add with all the good stuff from slabghost, if you hook up the 12 volt elect, choke.. make sure you run a ground wire to the carb(any place on the carb) or it will try to ground thru the throttle cable.. not a good thing !.. Have Fun..

Have put 2000 miles on this set-up.

Attachments

• SAM_0408.JPG
    SAM_0408.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for the viedo's. I will get the air cleaner today. This is a complete refibrish, so it will be a while before I get on the road.

mtwinger

Latest posts