Remove & replace the locknut from the left side of the swing arm on a 1983 Honda GL1100-I

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothy1027

Reaction score
Problem: Remove & replace the locknut from the left side of the swing arm on a 1983 Honda GL1100-I.
Solution: Instead of buying the special $65 (rare as chicken lips) tool from Honda, I made one that worked great! I just modified a $6 (Kobalt) socket. Dimensioned drawing attached for your future use.
Happy Wrenching! :)
Tim Barber

Attachments

• BWSTool-1.jpg
    BWSTool-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 158
Nice!

This will be copied to a few places here for future.

Question, I've never taken mine apart.
Does the center Allen adjuster have to be held from turning when removing or installing the locknut?

dan filipi":22lgt4qn said:
Nice!

This will be copied to a few places here for future.

Question, I've never taken mine apart.
Does the center Allen adjuster have to be held from turning when removing or installing the locknut?
---------
Yes, the factory manual tells you to hold the "center Allen adjuster" while you tighten the lock nut, but I was not planning to do that. I was just planning to apply grease to all the threads and hope for the best. All the torque is being applied to the lock nut threads (not the adjuster threads). I will post the results after I finish the installation.