140/90/16 rear tire rub on a 1982 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toytender01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thinking. I usually quit thinking when the room starts to fill with smoke and long before the fire department is called. Of course most of the time the gears just seize up before smoke starts :music2: :music2: :music2: :music2:

the spacers on the wheel are very diffrent and the longest one goes in the wheel then the brake holder then the other spacer about a 1/2 inch thick between that and the frame.

yup thats how I remeber it.. but the PO on my bike had somehow swapped sides with one of those spacers... we found it in the drive side of the rearend... and when I put a new 140 tire on it rubbed till I found the spacer....

FYI when the tire gets hot it grows and rubs more... when I left the garage it was not even touching but when it shifted over and started to rub to grew so much I couldnt get it to roll...

cost me a tire.. after rubbing I didnt want to trust it 2 up.

anyway, seems like the swingarm is all one piece still not sure how that would force the tire over unless you crushed the swingarm bro?
not saying your wrong, just not sure if I understand?

I've seen that before but another that I have personal experience with is OVER INFLATION. The guy I bought my wing from had 70psi in the rear tire and the stay arm rubbed thru the sidewall.