ABS Plastic Repair

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wichita Scorpion

Reaction score
All my information on repair to Goldwing plastic has been learned from another Goldwing forum.

The Goldwings are made of ABS Plastic. Bondo, epoxy, fiberglass, and other glues/cement will just crack away from ABS Plastic. Go to Lowe's or any hardware store and get ABS Plastic cement (Black, not the clear) for cementing black plastic pipe under sinks. If you need to fill in a hole or space wider than a crack, get a roll of fiberglass tape used for tape and bedding. The ABS cement will actually melt into the bike plastic parts. Be careful using it around painted areas.
Black ABS Cement-Oatey #30999
Cleaner-Oatey #30779

For just a crack, place some masking tape over the painted side. On the back side, clean the crack and area around the crack with the cleaner. Separate the crack with a knife blade just a bit and work ABS cement into the crack, being careful not to force cement to the outside under the tape. For me, still working on the backside, I then cover an area over and around the crack with ABS cement, then work/sink a cut piece of the fiberglass tape into the cement, then another thin coat of ABS cement.

For a larger area or hole, again use the cleaner. You will need to build it up in layers of fiberglass tape and ABS cement. If your repaired hole shows on the painted surface you will need to touch up your paint. Some on the other forum talked of using shavings of ABS plastic and mixing it with the ABS cement for get a putty like filler. I have tried once to use shavings from an under the sink pipe mixed with ABS cement but the cement cures so fast the shavings didn't have time to melt. I did end up with a putty like mixture that would have filled a hole and I think could have been smoothed out with some sanding and then layered with ABS cement. I have not had to repair a hole yet.

When I installed LED marker lights in place of reflectors on the GL 1100A saddlebags, I use ABS cement to stick the wires inside the saddlebags and it made a neat job.

I would also appreciate any other information others might have to repairing ABS Plastics.

Scorpion, I got a crack on the lower right almost where the inner meats the outer. Oh and it looks like shark jaws. Will this still work in that area?

~O~

edit - ooooh Joep, thanks for that link too.

Omega Man":jkciulhg said:
Scorpion, I got a crack on the lower right almost where the inner meats the outer. Oh and it looks like shark jaws. Will this still work in that area?

Has worked for me on Lower Fairing Tabs and corners of Trunk Lid. Can you post a picture of damage area?

You may want to reinforce the crack by adding some ABS on the backside. You can use black ABS pipe. Cut off a piece and slit it on one side, then you can heat it with a heat gun, flatten it out, and shape it to the part while it is heated. Be sure to use gloves while the material is hot. I have also squeezed it in a vise between some boards while it is hot to make thinner sheets, and sandwiched screen in between two sheets for extra strength. Use the ABS cement to glue the reinforcing material on.

dan filipi":2a5hopvx said:
I've been considering building some speaker enclosures into the trunk sort of like the 1500 trunk is shaped.

Will fiberglass mate to the plastic?

It will be interesting to see how you do with the speaker enclosures.

I do have experience, large and small repairs, with fiberglass on boats and it works well. My few of experiences with fiberglass and other glue/cement on ABS did not work. Seems they 'stick' to the ABS and everything looks good. With any stress/vibration they 'pop' off the ABS. Fiberglass and other glues/cements that I have tried do not melt into the ABS.

Repair procedures/products I have read about (others had success with) but not used:
Plastifix: https://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.php

Auto parts store: Plastic Bumper Repair Kit.

Use a file to get small ABS shavings from ABS pipe or, for finer powder, use sand paper. Mix with ABS Cement

For large patches, cut ABS pipe lengthwise and heat in an oven or with blow torch to flatten or shape.

Use a Plastic Welding Machine with ABS rods.

Use ABS "welding" rod form Harbor Freight with a soldering iron.

That's a good reference WS.

The problem I'm having coming up with a trunk lid design for the enclosure is the top rack.
I want to keep that and dont want anything extending into the trunk like the magnet.
I'm thinking the best way to start with it is first getting the speakers then laying out the enclosure around them using cardboard then thin sheets of plywood.
I've seen some very nice marine grade 3 inch speakers, 3 inch probably the largest I could make fit.

It sounds like fiberglass wont hold a bond to the plastic.
If I anchored lightweight plywood to the trunk with screws then glassed over that then floated into the plastic would that work?

Dan, this might be a dumb questionM but have you thought about using a set of speaker housings from an old fairing. I mean 4 bolt holes, and you're done.

I'll have to look at that idea myself when I get home. :idea:

I have the Plastic Welding kit from Urethane Supply. I bought it earlier this year, mainly to do some minor repairs on some cracks in the fairing on my 'Wing. The cracks are on the flat areas from the fake tank to the edge of the fairing.
I have used the welder to repair a plastic radiator tank on a car...works pretty dang well, too!
The instructions for the welder include how to determine what type of plastic you have, and the proper "welding rod"/heat/procedure to do the job. The kit comes with all sorts of different plastic rods, and a DVD.
I haven't actually used it to do the repairs on the fairing yet, but I plan on doing it this winter. The "trick" on ABS is to melt the surface and the welding rod together, much like normal arc/mig welding. How well it stands up to the repair may well depend on how much flexing/stress is on the part where it is welded.
Since the ABS stuff is sorta flexible, and most fiberglass resins are NOT, I doubt normal fiberglassing would hold up, but....there are other resins for fiberglass that ARE somewhat flexible. They use this stuff on fiberglass bumper covers for Corvettes, since not many suppliers are doing the covers in urethane, as original. The flexible covers are way more flexible than normal 'glass, but not as much as the urethane. It's a decent trade-off.

The References are good. But there is differences in our own preparations and the professional one.

I used the Abs Pipe for the same purpose manufactured by a professional, which is absolutely made by an Industrial.
It worked just like a miracle, man. I suggest you all try the same instead of Repair.

Refer this site for more information on Abs pipes : https://www.flowrack.in/abs_pipe_rollers.php

I make ABS shavings from a piece of ABS plumbing pipe with my drill press and mix with acetone until you get the desired consistency. When it starts to thicken up in the container, simply add more acetone and stir again. I have even repaired hinges on vacuum cleaners with this concoction and it works great!

Acetone will do wonders to Lego's too and you wind up with the same concoction. It probably takes longer to dissolve than drill bit shavings though and it upset the little children when their toys go missing. :smilie_happy:

Welcome to Classics!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144295#p144295:v9wyli88 said:
brianinpa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:16 am[/url]":v9wyli88]
It probably takes longer to dissolve than drill bit shavings though and it upset there little children when their toys go missing. :smilie_happy:
Yes, the shavings do dissolve much faster,and yes, the children DO get upset when their toys dissapear. Please don't ask how I know.

ABS cement is no longer carried at many of the big box stores as it is no longer used widely in plumbing, BUT! Amazon still sells it! Fresh to your door. I reinforce if needed with fiberglass cloth. And, for ABS to fabricate or fill with - visit your local Honda service department and politely ask that they save you some take-offs. I now have a lifetime supply from a dropped GL1800 that includes tabs, flats, curves, corners, etc. Built an entire under-cowl piece for a '79 CB750F out of it. Ialso use the ABS cement to fix cracks in my John Deere 345 hood that is made of some eco-plastic and very fragile. I juste reinforce on the inside with fiberglass cloth as the design is such that if you drop the hood closed, all force goes to two small points and cracks the thin delicate, expensive hood. Unlike Honda, Deere still sells the parts because it is a good income stream.

glad I found this. as you know i'm working on a '74 xl 70, it was missing the right side cover. I found one for a SL 70 ( same cover different color ) but it needs help

Attachments

• 20190727_124724.jpg
    20190727_124724.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190727_124733.jpg
    20190727_124733.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 96
If you are ever looking for scrap ABS, one widely available cheap source is ABS plumbing fittings.

I'm really happy with how my ABS repair turned out.

saganaga":2ok457d2 said:
If you are ever looking for scrap ABS, one widely available cheap source is ABS plumbing fittings.

Except, it is only used regionally in plumbing fittings. Big box stores in Tennessee don't carry it or even ABS cement. You can sweet-talk your local Honda service department into saving you some take-offs, however.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211469#p211469:1ew2abix said:
pidjones » Today, 5:53 pm[/url]":1ew2abix]
saganaga":1ew2abix said:

Except, it is only used regionally in plumbing fittings. Big box stores in Tennessee don't carry it or even ABS cement. You can sweet-talk your local Honda service department into saving you some take-offs, however.

I learned something today. Huh. I wonder what the reasoning is...