The wheel truth-84-87 wheel / flange fit info

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanbw

Reaction score
I had to buy a new (used) final driven flange and final driven gear assy. I also bought a wheel to go with the flange because I bought a very nice '84 flange and my bike is a '86.
I read a lot of posts about what fit what, some were contradictory to other posts so I thought I would research myself.
Some said '84-85 pin diameter was different from '86-87, wrong - no difference in pin diameter or in pin circle diameter. the only difference is the pins in the '84-85 are about .050 longer than the '86 -87, not enough to matter.
I found some wheels online shown as say '85 were really '86-87, I don't think they are purposely misrepresenting the parts, I think someone may have changed a wheel/flange at one time and the guy parting it doesn't know the diffrence in years. Because of this I thought I would share some info that I hope will help keep people from getting wrong parts as they are needed and used is all there is.

First off, any final driven gear assy from '84 to 87 will work on any '84 to 87 bike.
The '84 - 85 flange has a longer center bore and is smaller I/D than the '86 - 87.
The wheel for '84 - 85 has the hub turned where the flange slides over, the '86 - 87 does not have the hub turned.

(Just a side note....the driven flange from the '88 - 89 1500 will work on the '86 - 87 wheel)

Below are pictures that I think will help understand what to look for when buying replacement parts.
driven flange for '84-5, note long center
gl1200 6a.jpg

driven flange for '86-7, note short center - ('88 -89 flange is same)
gl1200 7a.jpg

wheel for '84-5, note turned hub
gl1200 8a.jpg

wheel for '86-7, note hub not turned
gl1200 10a.jpg

this is what happens if you don't grease rear end, and the reason I researched this
deans phone pics 184.jpg

deans phone pics 186.jpg

Thank you guys, I like that we all share the need to keep these old toads on the road, and buying wrong/misrepresented parts can be a real bummer......and expensive.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166705#p166705:32j9t4mn said:
sledge » January 20th, 2016, 6:25 am[/url]":32j9t4mn]
real good Info , with pictures so an old guy like me can understand it .. Thank You ! :hi:

your very welcome young man, we all need to share what we learn to keep these things going

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144755#p144755:11od89p9 said:
deanbw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:21 pm[/url]":11od89p9]
I had to buy a new (used) final driven flange and final driven gear assy. I also bought a wheel to go with the flange because I bought a very nice '84 flange and my bike is a '86.
I read a lot of posts about what fit what, some were contradictory to other posts so I thought I would research myself.
Some said '84-85 pin diameter was different from '86-87, wrong - no difference in pin diameter or in pin circle diameter. the only difference is the pins in the '84-85 are about .050 longer than the '86 -87, not enough to matter.
I found some wheels online shown as say '85 were really '86-87, I don't think they are purposely misrepresenting the parts, I think someone may have changed a wheel/flange at one time and the guy parting it doesn't know the diffrence in years. Because of this I thought I would share some info that I hope will help keep people from getting wrong parts as they are needed and used is all there is.

First off, any final driven gear assy from '84 to 87 will work on any '84 to 87 bike.
The '84 - 85 flange has a longer center bore and is smaller I/D than the '86 - 87.
The wheel for '84 - 85 has the hub turned where the flange slides over, the '86 - 87 does not have the hub turned.

(Just a side note....the driven flange from the '88 - 89 1500 will work on the '86 - 87 wheel)

Below are pictures that I think will help understand what to look for when buying replacement parts.
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 2
View attachment 3

this is what happens if you don't grease rear end, and the reason I researched this
View attachment 1

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php
Don't see how 86-87 wheel hub is going to fit in the smaller bore of the 84-85 driven flange. Also how is the longer wheel hub of the 84-85 going to fit in the shallower bore of the 86-87 driven flange? :headscratch: :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186497#p186497:3l6qk1jq said:
canuckxxxx » January 30th, 2017, 7:08 am[/url]":3l6qk1jq]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144755#p144755:3l6qk1jq said:
deanbw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:21 pm[/url]":3l6qk1jq]

View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 2
View attachment 3

View attachment 1

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php
Don't see how 86-87 wheel hub is going to fit in the smaller bore of the 84-85 driven flange. Also how is the longer wheel hub of the 84-85 going to fit in the shallower bore of the 86-87 driven flange? :headscratch: :headscratch:
they don't, this is to show you there is a difference and you need to make sure you get the right flange for your wheel. I wrote this after buying what was advertised as an 86/87, it came as an 84/85, my guess is someone changed wheel and flange assy at some point and the guy parting it out didn't know the differences.

Just wondering...
Is there a difference in the splines and the wheelbetween the 84/85 & 86/87? Meaning... can an 84 wheel and final drive hub/spline be used on an 87 final drive?

I know it fits, because I had an 84 wheel and hub on my 87 for some time while I was working on it, but I didn't look to closely at it. I want to use my wheel that is machined for a car tire on the 87, but it is an 84 wheel, I recall reading something about there being a difference, but I cannot find anything definitive.