Replacing Rear Shock SPRINGS and SEAL (with videos)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:good:
We need to copy this to the Video Tutorial forum, also.... :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158972#p158972:3rkrjwf6 said:
ChuckII » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:24 pm[/url]":3rkrjwf6]
I need to rebuild my rear shocks as far as I can tell they hold air fine but theyre terribly bouncy I've tried googling and it's probably because I new to these bikes I can't find the parts online I know progressive sells the springs but I can't find the seals listed anywhere any chance one of you could point me in the direction of a parts supplier ??

84 Aspencade

if they hold air you might just need to drain out the old fluid and replace with the correct amount.

I still have the piece that was drilled out to fit the top of the shock. It is available on a loan to anyone who needs it. Just pay the shipping to you and back to me. You will still need the thread all and the bottom piece. I returned the bottom when I was done with it.

My shocks were like you described and adding oil did not help. The springs are 30 + years old and need replaced. What a vast improvment.

Bob just did this replacement and here is his cost for Jan 2019.

The costs were as follows. Rear shock springs (Progressive, kit D) $65.00 (includes shipping), rear shock seals (Honda, $31.95, with shipping) and, 1 QT. ATF @ $4.95. If my math is correct, the total comes to approx. $101.90!

Hey, fantastic job on the videos. Very helpful.

If you don't mind a minor suggestion, next time you do a video like this, an assistant or a tripod will not only help you out, but make an easier video to view.
All in all a great job, thanks for sharing it with us.