Timing belt replacement help (with a video)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Alright, the squealing on the belts (at least im pretty sure that is what I keep hearing) is starting to worry me. One mechanic won't return my calls, an other is in prison, and the honda shop doesn't have an opening until july 3rd for me, not to mention they want to charge me almost $200 for this.

So I am asking for some help finding some info. I need a step my step on how to do this right so my buddy (a mechanic, but new to motorcycles) can help me replace them. I already have the belts, just need a step my step instructions to help us do this right. Pics would be nice.

Thanks.

If they're squealing, you have other issues, probably tensioner bearings. Be prepared...

There are several threads on timing belt replacement, and several videos on the subject as well. Check out the "Video References And Forum Index", as well as the "Gallery Tech References" at the top of the page. There's also a write-up on tensioner bearing replacement in the gallery.

I agree that the squealing could be tensioners, but it could also be from tight belts. If they were too tight after last install, they will whine and squeak.

I still think it might be tensioners though...