Had to drive it home w/o headlight

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankroche

Reaction score
So started up the bike last night in the dark and no headlight, high or low! And to make it worse halfway home they were turning traffic around due to a downed power line!!

So thinking about it last night I decided to check it out but first I downloaded the photos of the electrical system, printed them and highlighted the headlight and wiring through to the battery. Then I started by checking the fuse and it was fine visually and by continuity check... hooked up a maintenance charger to keep the battery up and started to remove the headlight.

Once done I turned the headlight and tried the socket connector and low and behold the light started to work, high and low! So thinking about it I realized that I hadn't fully seated the last time i had the headlight out.

In further reflection I realized that each time I started the bike (at night cause you can easily see the headlamp) it seemed to have the headlight come fully bright on after getting the bike started. So this must be the stator coming on line and providing full voltage / amperage and overcoming the resistance of the so-so connection and letting the light run at full capacity.

So always check out the simple stuff first!

It happened again... started the bike just after dark and the headlight went out, hi and low. Had to drive on the 5 and the 78 (Southern Ca) with my son behind me!!

Tomorrow will tear it apart again and (hopefully) fix it permanently!

I had this happen to both my bikes (both Hondas) and they both turned out to need cleaning inside the starter button switch. When the juice goes to the starter, its cut from the headlight. Simple place to start.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200993#p200993:2ca8kqh0 said:
D-50Dave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:51 am[/url]":2ca8kqh0]
I had this happen to both my bikes (both Hondas) and they both turned out to need cleaning inside the starter button switch. When the juice goes to the starter, its cut from the headlight. Simple place to start.

Yup on start button. The light will stay off until it's jarred, or otherwise unstuck. Electrical cleaner right into the button, key off and bump the button multiple times until its freed up.

OK took advice and fixed headlight by taking apart the Start switch!!

So the switch is a bear to clean, and i was sure thinking about having to buy a new one because it is difficult to put together, but I managed.

My switch was so dirty and gunky inside that no parts flew off! But after seeing the guts i'd recommend taking it apart in a bag to keep all the parts. The switch itself is removable by using two screws, but to dissembling requires a small slotted screwdriver to expand the sides. Careful parts can slide out and can spring apart at this point.

After full disassemble i used non chlorinated brake cleaner and Q-tips and tooth picks to remove the gunk. There are two tiny contacts and a 3/16x3/16 piece of plastic that need to be cleaned and reassembled and inserted on top of a spring, take your time.

Once cleaned and the contact points polished put it back together and test before reinserting it into the handgrip.

That's got to be it cause it worked for me!

I hope you added dielectric grease to the switch mechanism. Moisture in there will corrode it quickly.

Well after 33 years the switch had no corrosion, A search on diaelectric grease yielded the following;

"Dielectric grease can also be applied to the metal parts of virtually any electrical connection that will be exposed to the elements to serve as a sealant that protects the connection from contamination and corrosion. This should be done very carefully, as the grease will cut off the flow of electricity through the connection if some of it is left between the mating surfaces."

The switch is mounted upside down and has drain holes in the handlebar housing, and I don't think grease of any kind will help as the switch is plastic with two springs, two contacts and four contact points and grease holds dirt. I think it will last another 30+ years!

So after all this I rode it at night and low and behold the headlight is really bright now! I guess that slowly the start switch build up resistance and slowly reduces the current passing through to the headlight. So clean that switch up and you won't need a different bulb.