• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ugly duckling available ('83-1100)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinning the herd, so I can diversify! Available is my trusty'83 std/interstate. All mechanical systems have been scrutinized, adjusted, repaired, or replaced. This bike started as a std. And I swapped in the driveline from an '83 interstate with 72k miles on it. New; belts, hoses, water pump, clutch, steering bearings, randaaks carb rebuild, head gaskets, brake rotors, tires (metzler), fork seals, wheel bearings, etc. etc. It even has both a top gear indicator light and a low pressure air shock warning light which work great. This was my tour bike for last year and it performed flawlessly for 2500 miles, I expect it will go for many more miles before needing anything more than oil and gas (I only run non-ethanol high test when available)
Unintended witnesses are Joedrum and PurpleGL1100I, they saw the bike perform at the Illinois get-together last year. Most repairs to this bike have been documented on this site.

I call this the ugly duckling because I never tried to upgrade the paint. I polished the fork lowers, intakes, valve covers, and belt covers. The frame and many components were cleaned and painted black during repairs and upgrades but I never addressed the body panels, they have a nice patina with thier nicks and scratches and 35 years of luster.

I say available not for sale because I know I'll never sell it for anywhere near what it's really worth, but I chalk it up to the price of tuition and I need to make room for new pursuits, and I have an '83A to back me up. So if you want a great bike just to ride, or you prefer painting to wrenching, make me an offer, I'm going to take the best one within a few weeks.

Kerry. 716-479-9093 cell#

Attachments

• IMG_2257-1.jpg
    IMG_2257-1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2255-1.jpg
    IMG_2255-1.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 177
Sold.....for a song....to a young man with two kids and a siezed engine in his '83 project bike. Since he didn't appear to have any manual for the repair, I may have to jump in to save that one!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203863#p203863:1fwqp9r5 said:
kerryb » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:37 pm[/url]":1fwqp9r5]
Almost forgot, here is the new member of the "herd"
file.php
VW?
:good:

You're looking at the Harley end, this is the VW end! Shift pattern is standard "h", but lefthanded and sideways. The wheelie bars are not just for show.

Attachments

• 20180610_183818.jpg
    20180610_183818.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 109
I thought you were "thinning" the herd. Then you bring home that wide but bike!? Now that is my kind of thinning!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203866#p203866:1dubpmye said:
slabghost » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:27 am[/url]":1dubpmye]
I thought you were "thinning" the herd. Then you bring home that wide but bike!? Now that is my kind of thinning!
Is that a wide "butt" or is it "but" honey, if my arthritis gets much worse, I'm concerned about squeezing a clutch and brake lever in a traffic situation. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

I said thinning, not reducing, we have to rotate our stock to keep it fresh!

Something I've considered building, but not seriously yet... would be a possibility for you, Kerry-

Same setup as your new trike, but use a Subaru WRX turbo with CVT in the rearend...
...keep the wheelie bars...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203883#p203883:1itkpjko said:
DaveKamp » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:47 am[/url]":1itkpjko]
Something I've considered building, but not seriously yet... would be a possibility for you, Kerry-

Same setup as your new trike, but use a Subaru WRX turbo with CVT in the rearend...
...keep the wheelie bars...
Here is a local one.
Doesn’t look to be Rex powered and certainly not a CVT.
Actually I just took a closer look and it looks like an EA81.