Harbor Freight Teardrop

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm re-starting my trailer project with the same theme, just a smaller scale to "git er done".

Progress to date:
40" X 48" HF trailer with 12" wheels. got a smokin deal on it.
Narrowed the trailer frame to 28" wide.
narrowed the axle a foot too.
extended the tongue 13" for reasons to be seen.
tongue to axle ration is now about 1.91.
Mocked up the general shape of the box in cardboard to answer some engineering questions.
This cargo trailer is intended to unfold into a sleeping platform with a narrow tent on top. I'm building this smaller prototype first to prove the construction method and performance characteristics for a larger version in the future.
Wish me luck and offer encouragement/friendly criticism to keep me going. I want to use this for a short tour in September.
The Gypsy run is Sept.9, 10, 11 2016. might be a tight deadline.

Attachments

• IMG_2214sm.jpg
    IMG_2214sm.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_2223sm.jpg
    IMG_2223sm.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_2228sm.jpg
    IMG_2228sm.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 662
Interesting concept, like it's simplicity. :good: Really didn't like pulling a trailer very much, the few times that i've used one. :nea: That is how my last bike made it's original trip to my garage, :roll: so i realise they are a handy thing to have at times, for various reasons. :yes:

I really like the idea! I have found that I use my HF Tag A Long trailer for so many more things than just camping, it has become a required vehicle for me. I do not have a car around here most of the time (my girls have all of the cars) and I end up using my bike for almost all of my daily needs. When I need trunk space like I would in a car, I hook up the trailer. It has been great!

Just sold my HF folding trailer. I don't need it for my dirt bike camping.

But, now I want a motorcycle trailer for my Oldwing. I don't feel comfortable/safe riding 80MPH amongst cagers on freeways anyway. Might haul the trailer and go slower.. then I can carry huge cooler box with lots of beer!

I've been away, and working on the trailer in spurts. Got overwhelmed by the engineering and time crunch for the expanding/foldout tent design. So for the prototype this will be just a cargo trailer. still a teardrop shape for aerodynamics and allowance to expand at a later date.
Pic shows the sidewall sandwich construction begun. More soon when early stage assembly begins.

Attachments

• IMG_3318small.jpg
    IMG_3318small.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 493
Got a little more done...glad I built some model airplanes as a kid...this is just a bigger version.

I keep having second thoughts about the best wheel size to use. My coleman popup had 8" wheels, and 1000 lbs load with no trouble. The 8" wheels (7.5lbs) are 1/2 the weight of the 12" wheels (16lbs). As we use to say in backpacking "every ounce counts!"

Attachments

• 20160728_130331.jpg
    20160728_130331.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 486
  • 20160728_130413.jpg
    20160728_130413.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 482
It sure looks like a model airplane. :hihihi:
Not modern version though. Nowadays almost everything is made of EPP foam.

I used 8" trailer wheel for my sidecar. Didn't have any problem.

DSCN_6801.JPG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177827#p177827:1qxyyl3r said:
kerryb » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:27 am[/url]":1qxyyl3r]
A little off topic, hey skiri, what is that item that looks like a starter motor on your sidecar swingarm?

It is a starter motor for GL1500 (I think).
That was my attempt to make electric reverse.
It worked some but not really good enough for real use.
Engage/disengage mechanism was very crude and inconvenient.

Size of the wheel / tire combination should be based on which will keep the trailer level when attached to the bike hitch. Unless you have built in a way to level it adjusting suspension.

Size of the wheel should also relate to how far and fast you want to go, remembering that little wheels often have to do twice as many revolutions for the same distance ( harder on the wheel bearings).

So far I've got both height and wheel speed covered. I haven't finished the tongue or hitch setup so I can adjust for height then. If I go with the 8" wheels I'll put the axle back under the spring to raise the trailer. I towed the coleman 1000's of miles at 75mph with no issues, and I don't see me at elevated speeds with a bike and trailer very often.

Attachments

• 20160728_130357.jpg
    20160728_130357.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 220
FYI, my HF Tag a Long has 8" wheels and runs really smooth behind my 1100. I did not extend the tongue. When connected to the bike, the tongue is nearly level. Best I can tell, the wheel spacing and axle distance is perfect! I tow that thing upwards of 75 MPH all day.

image.php