Trikes must feel and drive different!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
Took the trike for a ride and was disappointed. On country roads with a crown, the trike leans to the ditch. It also steers very hard and requires real effort to turn at any speed. The handlebars shake at low speed when hitting bumps. Is this normal for trikes??

I guess I should go test-drive a commercial built machine to see what I did wrong.

Trikes need front raked more to steer properly. Custom triple clamps are available to change the rake angle. Pricey but the handling is soo much better.

+1 on the rake needed. One of the items in the package I picked up from the fellow who triked his Valkyrie was the triple tree assembly. I did a little research (like about 15 minutes worth) and found that "bikes converted to trikes are very tough to control without added rake".

I'm pretty surprised you would not have discovered this prior to undertaking such a big project. Truly something that should have been anticipated.

Why do you think so many are reversing the wheel set up? :Doh2: Only way that seems possible to actually enjoy a three wheel bike. :headscratch: How many years ago did they stop making three wheelers, & why? :roll: Peoples kids were killing, & maiming themselves. :whistling: Those damn things are DANGEROUS!!! :smilie_happy:

I had a 250 2 stroke atc and loved it....in the sand and dirt it was a lot of fun but get them on solid asphalt forget about it, very hard to handle with the solid drive axle.
Have to use sense in anything we do.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179295#p179295:10i0un71 said:
backlander » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:29 pm[/url]":10i0un71]
You can rake the neck yourself, put 4 to 6 degrees into it, not to big a job. I'm just finishing up putting 6 degrees into my 84 model.
+1 :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179245#p179245:1eo1i9po said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:08 pm[/url]":1eo1i9po]
Took the trike for a ride and was disappointed. On country roads with a crown, the trike leans to the ditch. It also steers very hard and requires real effort to turn at any speed. The handlebars shake at low speed when hitting bumps. Is this normal for trikes??

I guess I should go test-drive a commercial built machine to see what I did wrong.

Yeah, exactly sounds like a (rigidly mounted) sidecar rig.
With sidecar rigs, you can adjust the motorcycle lean to compensate for road crown. I wonder trikes have similar setting?
Raked front end will reduce steering effort for sure but if the thing constantly wants to go to the ditch, it will be annoying.

020.JPG
84 interstate. my first impression when i first got was this sucks. but i stayed after it and have grown to love it. it has some quirks but i really enjoy it and wife loves it

Here is the method I studied and modified to change the rake on my 84 model 1200. This original method is by HOTT over at NGW, a well known builder of old wings. His method is for a GL 1100 so some modification were necessary to apply it to the 1200 frame because of frame design changes, nothing major, the principles remain the same. You can see what is involved in changing the rake by his build of OL SPARKY. https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... %27+sparky Just scroll down the thread and it carries you through the process.

You can see how I did the 1200 by viewing my build here starting at around post # 200 viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5252

I know what you are talking about in the steering department. I am working on a 1981 GL1100 that has what I think is a TriWing conversion on it. The rear end is a ford 4 bolt on basically a swing arm setup and only shocks for suspension mounted in the stock location. Someone had put air shocks on it and so I replaced them with new ones. It is way too solid all you do is bounce when you hit a bump. It can develop a head shake that will scare the crap out of you if you not paying attention. I am trying to get it put on scales so I can see how it weighs out. I know overall with 1/4 tank of gas it is about 960#. I believe that some type of motorcycle shocks would help out a lot. I may also try tightening the head bearings a little too. That could help possibly. It seems to have plenty of power and on smooth straight roads doesn't ride too bad. Any one else have any Ideas to try? Also is it just me or does the blinker sound change to a solid buzz over 45 mph? Mine does and slow speeds it has a click sound.

Really bad ride on trike is likely a combination of too stiff shocks and too much air in the tires. If you don't add rake you should at least add a steering stabilizer.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181385#p181385:x1lfbdwn said:
JohnB1953 » Yesterday, 8:59 pm[/url]":x1lfbdwn]
... Also is it just me or does the blinker sound change to a solid buzz over 45 mph? Mine does and slow speeds it has a click sound.
I've had my '81 Interstate for 27 years and that change-over is factory stock, its working just the way it was designed. :yes:

I am looking into the rear shocks as they are just too stiff but I had overlooked the idea if the stabilizer on the front. I don't know much about them as I have never had anything to do with them.What kind would work? Just a universal or are they made bike specific ? How do they bolt on? Thanks for any info. I really need to get this thing dialed in as the warm riding weather is fastly leaving the area and will soon be time to tear it down for paint .

You might try letting some air out of the rear tires. I have a Triglide and you only need 20-23 lbs of air in the rear tires.Any slop in your front end will be amplified so check the forks and especially the headstock bearings. Any play there will be exaggerated. You have to get used to it hugging the camber of the road. It took me forever to get used to the bike leaning to one side or another slightly on a long stretch of interstate that isn't perfectly flat. Those speed suggestion signs on curves are your friend for a 1000 miles or so. They will keep you safe. Counter steering or leaning does nothing for you. It takes a bit of shoulder strength to hold it on a curve. The best advice I can give you for that is to use both arms in a push,pull fashion to negotiate curves. One hand isn't at all enough. If the front end is wobbling I'll bet you need bearings in the headstock or at least a good lube and tightening. After a bit you'll get used to it. Oh yeah,Don't put your foot down at a light etc. or you'll catch a boot under the rear wheels. Seriously I've seen it happen.