Tag A Long to the Rescue!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
In early summer 2015, my daughter (and Chief Goldwing restorer from New Jersey) is going to be moving back to New Jersey. It is a bitter sweet moment for her, but she is at peace with moving back up this way. She has a 2004 Ford Explorer LTD loaded with a towing package that she was able to purchase a few months ago with only 22,000 miles on it! The owners lived in New York and only came to Fort Lauderdale a few months a year so the Explorer stayed in the garage most of the time (which is a really good thing in south Florida!). :heat:

She doesn't have much stuff, so we thought that a 4 x 6 U haul trailer would do the trick..............NOT!!!! :rant:

U-Haul doesn't rent trailers to be towed by ANY Ford Explorer!! (Except maybe the 2012-15 models?) This is all due to the Firestone tire issues from way back in 2000 and apparently, quite a few U-Haul trailers were involved with some of the roll over events and other claims related to transmission issues. :whip:

Turns out, no other company rents tow behind trailers for one way trips!! What to do??????? :cheeky:

Well, the first thing that came to my mind is.....I need to ride my bike to Florida to help her out!! :yes: (Seems like as good a reason as any to go for a road trip?)

We calculated out her load (guitars, bass, amps, gear, desk, bookshelf, etc........) and it looks like she is short about 30 cubic feet of space just loading up the Explorer with the hard stuff.

Well, don't ya know, I am in the market for a Tag A Long cargo trailer from Harbor Freight, but have not been able to justify buying it with our current finances. Turns out, the HF trailer has a 16 cubic foot cargo space.....better than halfway there! Her Explorer has a roof rack and we found some nice 15 cubic foot, waterproof soft sided cargo bags for vehicle roof tops fairly inexpensive.

Soooo.......looks like I NEED to buy a Tag A Long trailer if I am going to rescue my daughter out of the heated throws of that rough and tumble (and hot....did I mention it gets real hot down there?) south Florida! :yes: :party: :yahoo:

(See, you CAN find ways to justify the expense when the kids are involved and need help! Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it! :smilie_happy: )

Should be a good trip! 1100 miles each way. I plan on camping on the way down and back and also stopping in to see friends on the way back!

I will use this thread to show my Tag A long Build!! :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143224#p143224:4dg4uxi4 said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:55 pm[/url]":4dg4uxi4]
She doesn't have much stuff, so we thought that a 4 x 6 U haul trailer would do the trick..............NOT!!!! :rant:

U-Haul doesn't rent trailers to be towed by ANY Ford Explorer!! (Except maybe the 2012-15 models?) This is all due to the Firestone tire issues from way back in 2000 and apparently, quite a few U-Haul trailers were involved with some of the roll over events and other claims related to transmission issues. :whip:

There's more to it than that, but you hit on one of the major reasons why U-Haul doesn't rent trailers to be pulled behind Explorers. It gets crazy: we sell hitches, install the hitches and then when the customer asks to rent a trailer we have to say: I'm sorry, but... Anyway, if it was 2011 or newer, no problem. Oh and don't try to rent a trailer with a convertible. :shock:

Back on topic... Early summer, sounds like a fun trip!

Gotta be a harbor freight down there. I'd go down and buy one and get it hooked up. Have fun on the trip.

Sounds like a great trip Gerry for an even better reason, not only that you get your Head Mechanic back :good:

Gerry-
Having built a Tag A Long (you've seen it) I'd recommend that you:

1) extend the tongue by 24"
2) change the wheel bearing grease
3) add a seal around the lid
4) remove all but main spring leaf
5) add rubber to spring ends

I think my Tag Along build is on this site - I photographed everything as I was doing it.

Good luck!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143580#p143580:2ceoyos1 said:
KYWinger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:18 am[/url]":2ceoyos1]
Gerry-
Having built a Tag A Long (you've seen it) I'd recommend that you:

1) extend the tongue by 24"
2) change the wheel bearing grease
3) add a seal around the lid
4) remove all but main spring leaf
5) add rubber to spring ends

I think my Tag Along build is on this site - I photographed everything as I was doing it.

Good luck!
Absolutely John! I have your thread bookmarked and have returned to it many times! :thanks:

There are 9 Harbor Freight stores within 50 miles of Ft Lauderdale.

I rode a Suzuki GT750K from mid-state NY (Griffiss AFB) to Panama City Fl in the late 70s, that took about 15 hrs riding time then. From NJ to Ft Lauderdale, you should have mainly interstate travel, if you like that kind of travelling.

No matter how you go, have a good trip!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143587#p143587:3gg0nz9c said:
dan filipi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:36 am[/url]":3gg0nz9c]
I was thinking something along those lines but using someone else's vehicle to rent it then move it over to the explorer.

...until you are in an accident with a trailer behind an Explorer. :shock:

When a customer signs the contract, he/she is signing stating that they are going to pull the trailer behind the vehicle that they stated that they are going to.

Oh and motorcycles aren't listed in any of U-Hauls hook-up books as being a vehicle capable of towing any of the U-Haul trailers.

Shhhhh........ :shock:

Guys...Guys!! I'm trying to convince my Wife that buying a Tag A Long trailer is currently our ONLY OPTION! :yes: :whistling:

(See, I get the trailer I have been wanting for a few years, rescue my daughter, get a nice long road trip in and my Wife is assured it is the only way to do this!) :hihihi:

I have an HF locally here in NJ now! :party:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143592#p143592:2l48yjrc said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 am[/url]":2l48yjrc]
You are correct South Florida gets nice and hot.. :crying: :head bang: :rant:
Last year I heard that even the alligators were screaming for air conditioning! :smilie_happy:

Send daughter the money to get the kit from HF and build it on your way down.
Naah but the trees were fighting over dogs. :smilie_happy: