Something strange going on here..!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have been getting use to something that this bike started doing one day all of a sudden.

I will try to explain it with the best detail possible. Picture yourself riding in a straight line at low speed 35mph. What is happening is the bike wants to be fading one way or another. Picture this too If you hold on to the handlebars with both hands. Same speed 35mph and let go of the left side there is pushing going on(NOTHING CRAZY) (SLIGHT FEELING FEATHER TYPE) your right hand not a relaxing feel. Switch sides and there is reverse resistance. There is the feeling of unbalance only longtime riders would feel in there body while holding a bike in there hands (so to speak). When letting go of the handlebars 45mph you automatic'ley want to shift your bottom to the left side and lean left to stable the bike to go straight.

Now sometimes you don't get this feeling of theirof right away and sometimes when you ride over bumps it go's away for a moment. It is like this bike has a wondering affect. Now it dose not make it unrideable. I would say that you would need to be familiar with the bikes characteristics. I have replaced the front wheel bearings and the rear wheel bearings. This helped some. Also replaced the rear shocks and rebuilt the front ones. Could this be in the swingarm causing this? Like I said this happen out of the blue things just got weird while riding been this way ever since. Haven't known where to look or start. Frame is good

Signed
Lost on this one..! :nea:

ok on a 1000 bike like yours .. the swingarm is adjustable it also has tapered bearing ...1 you can put your bike on ceantstand ..2 loosen the swing arm pivot pins lock nuts....i cant in my head right now tell you witch way it would have to go for left leaning to get rid of that ...but also you said it comes and goes ..making me think your swing arm pivots have loosen some ..and that means bearing play ...but anyway if you play around with moving swing arm and move it to far one way the driveshaft will start making noise a feel rough ...idea here is to get drive side pivot in the sweet spot of driveshaft and tighten or adjust always at same time the other side to the drive side ...this is all like a steering stem setup ...you take the play out but you dont want to over torque here...in my opinion im sure there is a torque setting here from honda i have no idea what that is and pay little attension to specs like that .....as i work by feel at what im working on ...not saying you should i just dont know the torque never looked....once set up and you think it good ride it ... if it pulls one way or the other,,,there s couple threads here that can be tweaked to to get perfect tracking...once thats done make sure to tighted lock nuts good so it wont move ... might better check that now pull the caps and see if one loose ... this happen to me once ..and is how i learn all this ...hope i explained it well enough

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157437#p157437:msgnm47u said:
joedrum » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:36 am[/url]":msgnm47u]
ok on a 1000 bike like yours .. the swingarm is adjustable it also has tapered bearing ...1 you can put your bike on ceantstand ..2 loosen the swing arm pivot pins lock nuts....i cant in my head right now tell you witch way it would have to go for left leaning to get rid of that ...but also you said it comes and goes ..making me think your swing arm pivots have loosen some ..and that means bearing play ...but anyway if you play around with moving swing arm and move it to far one way the driveshaft will start making noise a feel rough ...idea here is to get drive side pivot in the sweet spot of driveshaft and tighten or adjust always at same time the other side to the drive side ...this is all like a steering stem setup ...you take the play out but you dont want to over torque here...in my opinion im sure there is a torque setting here from honda i have no idea what that is and pay little attension to specs like that .....as i work by feel at what im working on ...not saying you should i just dont know the torque never looked....once set up and you think it good ride it ... if it pulls one way or the other,,,there s couple threads here that can be tweaked to to get perfect tracking...once thats done make sure to tighted lock nuts good so it wont move ... might better check that now pull the caps and see if one loose ... this happen to me once ..and is how i learn all this ...hope i explained it well enough

Ok Joe I will have a look at this and yes you did just fine with explaining it.. Thanks again..!!

Another source can be the steering neck bearings. If not seated properly they can give you a similar feeling.

Yup I think I will change them out the front neck bearings. The rear I've heard that there hard to get and they can be a pain to change. I'll first try what Joe said to do/ Do you need some kind of tools to do the front bearings/ Or is it knock the races out with a punch and so on. I've heard there is some kind of Jig you can use too. Thanks for the input BTW..! Really thanks.

:hi:

Check that the forks are an equal distance in the triple trees. One just a 32nd higher than the other makes a difference on mine. Having the exact same amount of fluid in each fork will help as well. I also had one where one swing arm race was warn just enough to cause low speed shakes and high speed weave.

Latest posts