noise under load 78 gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Here is the skinny. I'm getting some type of load noise out of the right side of the engine. It only comes up anything above 2500 to 3000 rpms under load only. The carbs are dead even no chain slap at idle. It reminds me of a gas engine that would be driving a water pressure pump or something sounds like that. ((Bdddtt)) if you can say this word (real fast) it sounds like that. But a continues sound under load above 25 to 3 k. Things I've done 1, I removed the carburetors and checked cleaned the CV slides. 2, I backed the timing back close to stock and this seams to quiet it some right away. 3, I balanced the rack no real change. 4, When the engine levels out (power curve load) it's there but fairly quiet. I can hear it across the engine but more so on the right. 5, When the engines hot (fan cycling) I hear it only under load. Mind you this is not a rod knocking. I'm thinking more of valve noise valve slapping or something. Now when I got this engine the back side of the valves were rusted and it did smoke aA LOT. Idid the poor boy cleaning. and it stopped smoking. I was told to do a mix of things or just run 100 LL fuel 2 tanks any help on this cause it's driving me nutz..! I am, going to pull the heads or rebuild a set I have off now.. Thanks in advance.. The only upgrade I've done is the coils

Try running about 4-6 oz of atf in both the fuel and oil. If it does it still after a hundred miles or so I'd look for a restriction in one of the header pipes.

Does the engine hesitate or stumble when you try to accelerate in the 2500-3000 rpm range? What gear are you in when it makes the noise?

It sounds like your timing may be advanced too much. If you're running stock points, I'd double-check the gap and timing. If you're running after-market electronic ignition like Dyna or C5, several members have experience in setting them up.

i know this sounds crazy gut it could be a slightly blown head gasket letting in small amount of coolant to one piston cause pre ignition on that cylinder and it is pounding the wrist pin to deathe when it get in the point where this occurs under load .....this will trash the motor if that what it is ...ive seen it before ..the leak can be so slight that coolant gunk like stuff can actually build up in combustion chamber ...it could also be broken valve spring but that dosnt fit well with the circumstances you describe ....it would have problems load or no load .....i hate to say say it but it sounds rather wrist pin like noise ...i would not ride no more if i was going to chance the lower end of the motor ,,,,,,,you could find the offending cylinder by unplugging spark plug wire on the one you think is making noise maybe and under load the noise would go away ...if you choose wrong clylinder noise will get worse under load id say ....

anyway to me it dosnt souind good ..its sounds like the motor is damage to some degree already and can not get better from top end work....with heads off or head off you could possiby find bad wrist pin clytlinder turning motor by hand and watching stall time at the top of the stroke of piston before it strts to go down compared to the other piston ...you can also put your hand on it and feel difference through touch .....hope im wrong on everything

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162785#p162785:3k7ohhh6 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:11 am[/url]"]Does the engine hesitate or stumble when you try to accelerate in the 2500-3000 rpm range? What gear are you in when it makes the noise?

It sounds like your timing may be advanced too much. If you're running stock points, I'd double-check the gap and timing. If you're running after-market electronic ignition like Dyna or C5, several members have experience in setting them up.[/quot. No hesitation no stumble no problems just noise ever so slightly under a load it doesn't really matter what gear on man here I am in. I'm running Accel coils and Dyna pickup.

Yeah I'm not going to tear the engine apart to expose the bottom end. I'll Drive that motor till it comes apart the engine that was in it made the same noise and I think Joe might be right on the head gasket leaking ever so slightly. One thing I do know is that it was there before and really really loud. I pulled the rack apart I did surgery polish. And the noise diminished at least 80% if not more. More like 95%. I back the timing off and it got even quieter and now it's barely there. I guess I'm getting tired of the mechanical problems with these bikes and when the motor goes that will be it. When I pulled the engine apart on my 78 original engine there was no slack in the wrist pins and the Pistons all look good. I think I'll just pick up a set of head gaskets do a valve job and call it a day.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162806#p162806:2qe6ej6h said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 am[/url]":2qe6ej6h]
One way to fix it is louder exhaust....or ignore the little noises. That's what I'm doing now after obsessing over it so long trying to find it.

Exactly, just there a little bit. Drive it till it drops lol

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162806#p162806:14pdponr said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 am[/url]":14pdponr]
One way to fix it is louder exhaust....or ignore the little noises. That's what I'm doing now after obsessing over it so long trying to find it.
At the end of November I'm going to need two more shirts one medium one small I'll send you a paypal singing

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162809#p162809:4szxb1mn said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:36 am[/url]":4szxb1mn]
I also think we tend to hear noises on our own bike that others may not.
I mean hell for all I know it might be what the engine sounds like. Like I said the noise its just a noise I mean is not vibrating shaking apart or a rattle trap. But I am going to run some Marvel Mystery in the gasoline but I am going to run some barbara mystery in the gasoline in a couple other additives to clean up the valve train. And run a little heavier gasoline in it before I tear it down. I have two engines on the floor 1 in a box that I'll build up when I'm ready to spend the money. I have my 77 that I'm working on and not enough damn time in a day. I have quite a few sets a heads already out I can't remember the updated torque settings on the head bolts. I guess I need to do a compression check to I'm sure it's fine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162818#p162818:sgjesi3m said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:29 pm[/url]":sgjesi3m]
Just an FYI; here is rod knock at that RPM:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa7J6SBjGdc[/video]
I'll see if I can get a sound bite made. Thank you for the video I'll plug that into my stereo and I get home so I can hear it real good

Okay I fix the timing again it's now stock timing. The noise is gone. Now I'm going to get a fresh set of spark plugs put the Jardine pipes back on and check for spark plug burn. I'm also still looking for a set of exhaust cans quieted down.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162995#p162995:ium8p6wd said:
joedrum » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:22 pm[/url]":ium8p6wd]
sheesh thats great ....im glad you caught this early as it would trash the motor if it kept going on ...one thing about noise is ...its always trauma to the motor to some degree
I keep hearing about Harley Davidson mufflers I found a set off a FL HT I'm just curious if those mufflers will work far is back pressure which motorcycle I'm looking for far as that goes you know Joe. I'm on ebay searching it right now ready to buy a set

hmmm ive never really dealt with the harley converted muffs and really dont know much here there are several members that have them though....i will say i have seen more problems with to much back pressure than not enough in my experiences ..the stock header have problem of inner wall break down cutting flow and performance ....just over clog stock pipes can reduce power a lot ...they were made tight ...they tended to clog bad first ...then later blow out the sides ...i couldnt believe how clog my 79 stock muffs were yrs ago ..it really just took the power from the bike ...maybe someone with the harley mod muff will post in .....

Agreed too much back pressure is more of a problem than not enough. I have a pair of sportster mufflers I think but I haven't installed them yet. I've read though that HD mufflers each have their own back pressure (different) so some have bought two of one side. Not sure if that is needed or makes a real difference.

Latest posts