electronic speedo/rev counter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transitman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of fitting a digital speedo/rev counter to my GL1000 trike build.
I know very little about electronics so you may have to reply using simple words please.

Is it possible?

I have come across a neat and cheap unit on Banggood site

The only type I would consider is the type that look like a needle, jumble of numbers doesn't look so good...from what I have heard the instructions for the ones from China are tough to translate even though they are in english you need some electrical skills to read them, or maybe they have changed that.

Don't have an electric speedometer, :nea: but would think a magnet, Hall effect transistor, OD of your wheel, where to mount, power supply,& ground, is all you have to worry about. :headscratch: Tach should use a coil, & ground, connection, Good Luck :salute:

Thank you for that, if you could possibly expand it a bit so a non electronic engineer like me who grew up in the dark ages could understand?
Alternatively, if you know where I might find a how to, would be just as good

When I trained as an aircraft mechanic they kept us away from anything electrical. Figured we'd be dangerous.

Electronics is not my best knowledge. :thank_you: Hall effect transistor pulses when a magnet passes over it, the same way your pulse generators do, to fire your ignition. The size of your wheel is taken into the factor somewhere to see how many RPM's to what speed & or distance, you have traveled.Too the best of my understanding, that's the jist if it :salute:

You can get a bike speedometer for under $15 on the Internet from camping world or Walmart.

"The Dashboard 100 Bike Computer is a great way to keep track of your biking travels. This easy to install, weather resistant computer has a large, easy to see digital readout. Functions include current speed, average speed, max speed, miles per hour (MPH) speed and distance, speed tendency, odometer, trip distance, trip timer, 12/24 hour clock, scan and auto stop/start. Battery included."
https://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... gQodejAJ_Q

The magnet mounts on the wheel and the sensor (Hall effect transistor?) mounts on the forks. I have one on my bicycle and it seems accurate.

Conversing with a seller of a smiler instrument, Slabghost, he couldn't understand my bike didn't have an electronic pick up. Imagine it's possible to sort out but only if you know your electronics..
Feel I'm getting old. When I was in mechanic training we learnt how to do aircraft fabric skin repairs...

They were still teaching how to make wooden propellers when I worked on aircraft. Sending unit is just a hall effect pick up and magnet arrangement.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163717#p163717:6fj73qes said:
transitman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:18 pm[/url]":6fj73qes]
Wooden props? Thought we made em from stone
We went to wood when they ran out of big rocks :smilie_happy: :BigGrin:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=163735#p163735:1v7hp2l7 said:
dan filipi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:54 am[/url]":1v7hp2l7]
What was this topic about?

Prop speed :smilie_happy: