C5 Ignition and a 78 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoBrdr

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing the C5 into my bike but I have come upon a stumbling block.

I have spoken directly with Paul of C5 and while he was very helpful, he did not have the answer to my specific question.

I am hoping that someone who has installed the C5 on a 78/79 could answer the question.

I need to find the hotwire that will kill the bike with the emergency shut off switch on the bars.

I tried using the wiring harness from the old coil setup but the only power there was one of the connection to the old ballast and it did not shut off with the switch.

I traced the wires from the switch to the plug on the harness and while some have power, none turn off when you put the emergency switch to off.

Obviously it does have it somewhere as the switch shuts off the bike.

I could wire it without using the switch but I'd rather not.

Thanks.

ok this quick anewer and i might be wrong as it memory in play here ...im rather sure its the black and white wire comes down from to the coils ...there is wiring pics in tech references section of forum ...if black and white wire isnt it

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164450#p164450:1e7dzo3e said:
slabghost » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 am[/url]":1e7dzo3e]
Yep black wire with white stripe. The one that feeds the stock coils.

Ya, for some reason that isn't working.

I saw yesterday on the schematic that it was the b/w wire that went from the switch to both coils, maybe UI need to recheck it.

hmmmmmm well on mine i bypassed all that as the wiring in my bike sucks and gives me problems all the time ....mine is set up strait to battery with a switch inline of high quality as i didnt want any low voltage problems going on ....to many switches along the way for me ahead of c5 .....so i have a new kill switch on my bike and in different spot ...

When I installed mine I just found it through trial and error. Switch wires, try it, if it doesnt work try a different wire. It was a bit of fiddling around but I got it. Just keep at it, you arent gonna hurt anything.

im almost certain ...that when i had a relay hooked up to the c5 ..i used the black and white wire going to coils from bars to activate it ....this didnt work for me as i had a key switch problem and it would loose power at times ...according to paul this can wipe the programing out ...so i went to direct hook up to battery and good switch in line ...works great for me

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164466#p164466:3ro151i4 said:
joedrum » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 pm[/url]":3ro151i4]
im almost certain ...that when i had a relay hooked up to the c5 ..i used the black and white wire going to coils from bars to activate it ....this didnt work for me as i had a key switch problem and it would loose power at times ...according to paul this can wipe the programing out ...so i went to direct hook up to battery and good switch in line ...works great for me

Mayt have to end up doing that.

Spoke to Paul several times and he's been a great help.

Still looking around as the coil hot wire and ballast wires give no joy.

Is the kill switch in run position. Black / white wire should run from Kill switch down to the coils.

This is directly from the wire harness posted on this forum. 78-79 models clearly show black with white tracer providing power to coils (as JoeDrum stated).
Since it appears there is a resistor (the red one in picture) for the cooling fan you might want to verify you didn't unplug that when you disconnected the stock coils.

Correct me if I am wrong but the black/white wire provides power to the coils on earlier Goldwings also.

My suggestion was to find the leads going to the handlebar switch and use a test light to find out why that is no longer functional.

Attachments

• gl1000 dia.jpg
    gl1000 dia.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 538

Latest posts