1977 gl1000 runs and then dies

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codysouth95

Reaction score
I have a 1977 Honda goldwing gl1000 with a single carb conversion (I'm not sure what kind) it turns on but after running for a couple of minutes it dies I don't know much about it any help is appreciated!

Welcome. Post some pictures of the single carb set up. Tell us more about the bike. Recent purchase? How long since last ridden? Type make of ignition. As much as you know.

I would check the fuel supply first, it should have a pump either electric or the original diaphragm type I would first disconnect the main fuel line to the carb attach a small funnel that fits the 3/8th fuel line and manually fill the carb, then when full lower the hose to drain off any excess in the line being careful to catch it in a container or in rags then wipe down any excess, then re-connect the line to the pump and try to run it, see if it runs longer/better.
You will need to remove the tank over the carb to do this.
If the same then disconnect the fuel line to the carb and run it into a container and if it is electric turn the key to ON..if it is the original diaphragm type then you will need to start it and see that it is pumping fuel into the container.
Be extra careful doing all this and if you have an extinguisher handy keep it nearby just in case.

Ok sorry for the delay so I replaced the spark plugs and the orings between the cylinder heads and intake and even though it runs much better but it still sounds like it's misfiring and dies after a couple of minutes

Attachments

• IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 271
Video uploads use up too much server space so create an account on YouTube, upload it there then link to it in your post.

Also, taking your pictures in landscape then attaching them here will display them properly.

hmmmmm something here is off bigtime as in leaking air or idle jets are totally cloged up.....and it getting it charge from main jets ..something big going on ...probably air leaking in is my guess ....could be intake horns shafts something ...

+1 on the air leaks or overfuelling ( easy to check, pull a plug straight after stalling and see if it is wet) :yes:

I see the problem, you are missing 3 carburetors! :smilie_happy:

What type of ignition is on it? If it still has points check the gap on those as well. When I first got my 76 it needed carb work, which I meticulously did myself and then the bike still didn't run properly. One of my points was incorrectly gaped and wasn't opening at all. I threw a gap on it and it ran good. Point being, lets check all the simple things first as ignition symptoms can mimic other issues.