75 GL1000 reserve lighting and resistors?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveO430

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't been on here for a while. Just got a 75 that had been sitting an unknown # of years. Everything seems to work but I'm curious about some things. Does anyone have an explanation of how the reserve lighting works and what the resistors & diodes are for? I have a wiring diagram and a (gag) clymer manual and it doesn't even mention those things, I'm sure the Honda manual doesn't explain them either.

This won't help you much, but when I bought JPwingers bike I converted everything to LED and the reserve lighting lost its mind. I removed it and by passed it... JP I think bruised his head beating his palm on his forehead then. It works fine without it but with conventional bulbs it seems to recognize certain amperage drawing from bulbs and keeps them working and alerting you of problems if out of the normal parimeters.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202976#p202976:28l8mddc said:
FlipFlop » Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 pm[/url]":28l8mddc]
This won't help you much, but when I bought JPwingers bike I converted everything to LED and the reserve lighting lost its mind. I removed it and by passed it... JP I think bruised his head beating his palm on his forehead then. It works fine without it but with conventional bulbs it seems to recognize certain amperage drawing from bulbs and keeps them working and alerting you of problems if out of the normal parimeters.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to leave it intact but would like to know the ins and outs of it. It was probably covered in Honda technical training when it was new but there is probably nobody left who remembers any of it.

Look in the gallery in the GL 1000 SHOP manual around page 16-3 and they go into its operation to some degree. Goldwings doc and Saunders site have several threads also. It was a great idea but there were many problems and most people bypassed the system with jumpers.

It's a backup voltage regulator for your headlamp. If the low beam portion burns out, the reserve lighting system provides a somewhat lower voltage to the high beam portion of your headlamp so that you automatically have road lighting but do not blind oncoming traffic. The white lamp on your instrument cluster lights up to tell you of a headlamp low beam failure. This light will stay on and the high beam system engaged as long as your low beam filament is open.

This may be challenging with some LED lamps today depending on how much current the lamp draws through the reserve lighting regulator's sensing system. As others have said, you can bypass it if necessary.

Cheers. :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202992#p202992:1fsdedfs said:
backlander » Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm[/url]":1fsdedfs]
Look in the gallery in the GL 1000 SHOP manual around page 16-3 and they go into its operation to some degree. Goldwings doc and Saunders site have several threads also. It was a great idea but there were many problems and most people bypassed the system with jumpers.

Thanks,this tells me about all I need to know. gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1133&image_id=11440
It was just curiosity more than anything, knowing what something does isn't good enough for me, I like to know how it works. I may have been a good idea but probably caused more problems than it solved.