Vaccum Gauges Flutter on 2&4 cylinder.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence954

Reaction score
I just rebuilt the carbs on my '75 using a set of gauges I just bought. The left bank (2&4) gauge arrows flutter. I switched hoses to the right side and then those flutter so I know it's no the gauges. I've checked that the O-rings in the manifolds are seated. if I pinch the hoses slightly they settle down.

Another question is the idle. I've set the idle to 1000-1200 rmp while sitting and it idles fine however when coming to a stop during operation it dies. Is that a pilot screw adjustment (currently at 1 3/8 turns out)? If so do a turn them out or in?

The oldwings do not make enough vacuum to hold the gauge needles steady. They will flutter unless you put a restrictor (a plug with a tiny hole in it) in the vacuum line.

Coming to an idle and dieing may be too lean. Try another full turn out on the pilots.
Check around good there are no vacuum leaks. Others may mention they’ve sprayed wd or propane and such to find leaks, but ether has been the only spray that’s given me any reliable results. Just use it outdoors and have a fire extinguisher handy. I’ve never had a flame up but better safe.

Did you just switch the rubber tubes or the brass tubes as well? Take a close look at your brass tubes to make sure they aren't split I was chasing something similar and found a brass tube cracked.

I now realize what the restrictors are for (I didn't look too closely at them since I thought they were for some other use). I'll retry syncing the carbs using them in the lines instead of running the lines direct.

Mixture screws need set for best idle rpm. Base setting isn't the way. But hey it's your bike do it your way.

Vacuum gauge flutter is perfectly normal on two cylinders. The air movement is so much less each cyl pulse it follows it. Pinching the hose is simply a type of dampening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk