Guide Plate - Chain from starter dog to alternator drive

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedbrace

Reaction score
New member so first post (have introduced myself).
I purchased my GL1000 K1 1976 about a year ago but only rode it a couple of miles.
I have read the early Gl1000s have a clatter/rattle at tick over, and my bike (1976 K1) is no exception. It sounds bloody awful but appears, from what I have read, that they all do it as there is no adjustment on the primary drive chain.
Anyways, I decided to pull the engine out for curiosity and to take a look at the engin’s condition. I really want to assure myself that the bike is good before racking up miles on it. Current mileage is approx. 55000.
When I removed the rear case I was surprised how slack the starter motor chain was, and with the amount of slack it was capable of hitting the casing !
Also, there is a chain guide. If the photo(s) have uploaded properly, perhaps someone can tell me if this ‘guide’ is positioned correctly. It does appear not to be guiding anything but I could be wrong.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 01F1E908-476A-41F8-81C7-AFBA4ABEF5B8.jpeg
    01F1E908-476A-41F8-81C7-AFBA4ABEF5B8.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 8D59FBFC-6A1C-4A24-A374-753BC0B6201C.jpeg
    8D59FBFC-6A1C-4A24-A374-753BC0B6201C.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 72A9C3DB-D3C6-41FD-95EA-E07DE11DC279.jpeg
    72A9C3DB-D3C6-41FD-95EA-E07DE11DC279.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 153
That chain does appear awful loose. Are there marks on the case from the chain hitting that would cause all the noise? I'm not as familiar with the 1000, but usually crank over noise is caused by the starter clutch not engaging properly, not caused by the chain. That does make a racket!

That "guide" does nothing more than keep the gear from coming off when you remove the rotor. The Honda Service manual refers to it as a "sprocket tab".

The only time I've had the rear cover off of mine was to do the stator, but I removed the starter before pulling the engine out, so I can't really say if what you have is too much slack in the chain or not. Being as there is no guide, or tensioner on that chain, I would say it is possible that the chain has stretched, and may need to be replaced. Look closely for marks on the engine casing to see if it has indeed been rubbing anywhere. Since the only time that chain should move is while cranking, there may be a problem with the starter clutch that is dragging, and spinning that sprocket/chain once the engine fires off....which would most likely make some noise.

On one used engine I got, the starter spraque clutch was frozen. I didn’t know it until I discovered the starter armature had grenaded from being spun at engine rev speeds.
Sucked. That was a good starter.

That chain is in constant motion from start to shut down. The only time it should make any noise is if the motor is running very rough.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205277#p205277:3kpqyz8o said:
slabghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:18 pm[/url]":3kpqyz8o]
That chain is in constant motion from start to shut down.

:headscratch: :headscratch:
How is that possible? If the chain/gear turns the whole time the engine runs, then the starter motor would also be turning. The top(starter) gear is not splined onto the rotor drive shaft...it freewheels on the shaft. The outside journal of the gear fits up into the sprag inside the alt. rotor, which is what spins the engine to start it.

Unless I missed something here.... :headscratch: :blush:

image.php

Dammit....typo on the "one started"...should be "once started"... :doh:

You are correct Joel, sprang clutch free spools the drive gear when the engine is running thus being a one way clutch which only engages when the starter motor is running.