Clutch Cable Issue...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATCguy

Reaction score
Ok guys... still getting acclimated mechanically to this old classic, and need some advise.

Last time I rode the old gal, everything worked as advertised. Got busy & didn’t play with it for a couple weeks until I was ready to ride her up into the garage of my toyhauler for a trip. Went out, started her up just fine, let it warm... then hopped on. Went to pull the clutch lever, and had no resistance at all. Cable completely slack.

Shut the bike down, and began a quick inspection. Traced the cable down to the clutch cover, and found that I could pull the cable up & out of it. Not completely, but a good inch or 2. This leads me to believe that it’s still connected, but something ain’t right down there.

Being rushed for time, I had to leave it behind... but brought the Honda service manual for it with me. Thumbing thru it this evening, I see how everything is supposed to work... but what I don’t see is how the cable is secured to the casing. Does the lower adjuster fitting thread into the clutch cover... or is there something else?

Again, not sure how this happened. I hadn’t touched the bike since the last ride, and noticed nothing irregular with the clutch as I pulled into the drive, shifted to neutral, and shut it down. I had a good cable pull then... and then 2 weeks later, it was completely slack.

I won’t get back to the bike for a few days, but any info will be appreciated. Thanks...

There is a sort of bar that is supposed to hold the cable housing. Two nuts on the housing are supposed to be one above and one below the bar to hold it in place. When the cable is stretched many put both nuts on top to maximize adjustment. Sounds like that is the case and it has fallen off the housing retainer bar.