What would you do?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205289#p205289:iwhq63de said:
JoeBarTeam » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am[/url]":iwhq63de]
i would like to see performance diagrams (dyno?) that show horsepower and torque from a standard carb 1200 oldwing, a injection one like the ltd or a sei and one well running scc oldwing. i wonder what we'd see. i think the oem carb oldwing wins.
greez
You are probably right about performance with early efi but fuel economy should be better than with carbies. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205189#p205189:nxyul5j9 said:
DaveKamp » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 am[/url]":nxyul5j9]
Sweating on the outside of the carbeurator, is usually the result of gasoline leaking THROUGH the aluminum.

it's a die cast part. Castings are naturally porous, and exposure to non-gasoline will frequently 'etch' a pathway into some porous spot, which allows the thinner compounds of a fuel blend to find an easy path through.

Why would it happen? In the die casting process, metal is melted, and then injected under hydraulic pressure into a mold. If there's some sort of contamination in the process (typically, it's in powdered form, and frequently, carbon soot from oil vapors), it'll get impregnated into the casting. It'll be fine for a long time, but eventually, exposure to a variety of things will cause the contaminant to disperse. Ethanol is great at facilitating things like this, but ANYTHING will do it eventually...

And you have a 'sweaty bowl'...

The first thing I'd do, is look for a replacement bowl and put that on... with a new gasket.

yep ive heard others say this about oldwing carbs .

Hello all, I just did the carbs to my wing! New bowl gaskets, new accel pump, cleanead all jets, checked all float levels, and no sync was needed! I will send a youtube link so you can check it out
I feel a better response to a quick twist to the throttle.

Thanks for your help again!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hello to all,

A little update on this... it perfors really well (better than ever) but I'm still having that leak and I'm now sure it is from the accelerator pump. The thing is that I did replaced it along with the little o ring. I will keep running like this and next weekend I will pull the carb rack out and recheck that accelerator pump.

Thanks
Ben

Those little things can be maddening indeed!

Do you have a way of putting fuel to the carbs without reinstalling them? Like a gravity feed fuel or some kind of fuel pump set up? I know

Dan had a video related to the float levels set up, it looked like it was some kind of fuel pump he had set on his, so simple yet does it perfectly.

The accelerator pump passages are tiny...mine were clogged which probably led to the failure of the diaphragm. I got a longer piece of fuel hose, attached it to the carbs & sat them on a 5 gallon bucket next to the bike. When you work the throttle gas should squirt out all 4 carbs in a super-fine stream...at least a foot from what I remember.