AGM Battery

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep seems they come full circle now and a great option for bikes now ...just have to get the charging system dialed in good ..not to stress the battery ...as in sense wire reading proper volts at battery....

I'll add this with a disclaimer because I can't even spell lectrical. My bike had the relay and sense wire reading direct battery voltage. With the LIFEPO4 battery, it kept slowly dying. Lead acid are 6 cells of 2.1 volts while LIFEPO4 batteries are 4 cells of 3.3 volts --- 12.6 v vs 13.2v. With the sense wire reading direct, I believe my regulator was thinking the charge was sufficient because the regulator's brain is based off 12.6v. After leaving me stranded a few times, I removed the relay and reinstalled the original setup. It's been fine ever since, (2 years). Sometimes I come in from riding and it's resting voltage is 14.6, which the maker says is too much. They say no more than 14.4v. There are strict warnings about over charging them, but unlike lithium ion batteries, these don't blow up. It's a bit expensive if your regulator fails and you don't catch it right away. And everyone here knows old wings commonly charge more than 14.4v. I guess my winter funds should include a volt meter. All I have to do is leave the ignition on a few seconds and it's down to 14.1 or so. In summer months, whatever it is when I park it, is what it stays for a couple weeks. Over winter last year it went from 13.9 to 13.8v staying in the cold garage.

Go to use them in cold weather and they read 13.8v on the meter, but crank the motor and it falls to 10 or less in a second.. Wait a few minutes, and it will usually start it. That's why I'd like to move up to the battery chilidawg referenced. LIFEPO4's are a different animal, but I think they'll find there niche as long as the raw materials to make them are abundant, which is a question mark. If new sources aren't found soon, all the treehugging hybrid cars will become more expensive than they already are.

I left my ignition on one night and it was down to 1.something volts. I figured it was toast, but it did slowly take a charge and has been fine since. The makers have strict earnings not to overcharge or undercharge.

Well, it is done. 5 years and 10 months and this poor battery is having trouble turning the engine over. It is giving up the ghost. Over to Autozone and picked up another one for $89.99! :party:

Here's to looking at another 5 years and 10 months (I hope!) :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188746#p188746:1ruhdizu said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:38 pm[/url]":1ruhdizu]
Well, it is done. 5 years and 10 months and this poor battery is having trouble turning the engine over. It is giving up the ghost. Over to Autozone and picked up another one for $89.99! :party:

Here's to looking at another 5 years and 10 months (I hope!) :hihihi:
Opps...spoke too soon. This AGM didn't make it more than 16 months. The poor Slug was left outside all winter with no trickle charger and the battery just couldn't do it. The poor girl has only been getting started once every few weeks and ridden even less. 200 miles on her in 3 months. :oops:

New AGM from Auto zone again. But this time, I purchased an automatic trickle charger for AGM batteries. :good:

Since the topic has been renewed, I'll just reiterate my complete satisfaction with the Odyssey PC680. One in the Valk and one in the '78. Two years and four years respectively and going strong. I've had them last six (VMax) and as far as I know, that one is still running - as I sold it.

Don't ask me why, but I cheaped out on the CBX and put a Mighty Max AGM in it. A good bit cheaper than the Odyssey, the jury is still out on how it will compare. I'll let you know when I know!

I have pc680 in mind too. It’s been running strong now for several years.
I haven’t stressed it much. It’s kept on the little Deltran 75ma maintainer when parked.
Before the pc680, I had a AGM from batteries plus, don’t remember the name. It died after I gave it a hard workout trying to start a salvage motor. No telling if the pc680 would have done the same, the other was working fine until stressed.