The plan is to turn 140,000 into 50,000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built me a new shop in the back yard, ain't quite finished yet but it's getting there.

Working under that car port, with the heat, rain and the mosquito's, which at some points I thought was luxurious, compared with working in the street in London.

First thing I'm gonna do with this thing is turn the Hardly Dangerous into a daily rider, that ought to be pretty easy, 2002 Road King, 10,000 miles on it.

Then the work starts. I've got this 50,000 mile GL1100 engine and frame, so the plan is to strip everything off of the 140,000 GL1100 and build it onto the 50,000.

Attachments

• Shop and wreck 001.jpg
    Shop and wreck 001.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Shop and wreck 002.jpg
    Shop and wreck 002.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 483
  • New phone  LG 013.jpg
    New phone LG 013.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 494
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182105#p182105:148nt5n2 said:
zman » October 10th, 2016, 2:40 pm[/url]":148nt5n2]
Nothing beats that new shop smell :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

+1 :smilie_happy:

So I built it, now I'm gonna ride it. Of course in this case, ridin' it means building something.

Unfortunately yes, the first little project will have to be the Hardly Dangerous but that shouldn't take too long.

Oils, yes they have three different kinds, tires, yep it's been sitting for 12 years, that's a concern too, I got a new Lithium Ion battery for it but my plan is to spray down the internals of the cylinders (plugs out, kill switch off before I start it) new plugs and wires and fit the oil cooler kit that came with it. Damn!!

They really do sell you add-ons, that your engine really needs. as an extra, like I say, damn, who'd do that!!

But here's the shop done! I think! Bose sound, USB cable TV, WiFi & a refrigerator of course.

Look, that's what my old ass thinks is up to date! :BigGrin:

Attachments

• Inside shop 004.jpg
    Inside shop 004.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 352
  • Inside shop 003.jpg
    Inside shop 003.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Inside shop 007.jpg
    Inside shop 007.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Inside shop 10 001.jpg
    Inside shop 10 001.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 352
Okay, finally! The newer motor is out of its frame and on the bench, the rear engine cover is off and would be ready to accept the new Randakk alternator, if I had a #3 JIS screwdriver, (which I don't,) so while I wait for it to arrive I will ask this question?

Would this forum like to see a blow by blow of this rebuild? Or, would I just be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs?

I am no expert, and will be doing a lot of this for the first time ever, it should not be considered a one sided "how to" manual. I will need as much help as I hope I am able to pass on, hopefully it'll be a two way street.

There's unlikely to be movies, as I'm not very photogenic and sound like a soccer hooligan.

I have never had such luxuriant conditions to do this kind of work in, it for damn sure beats a car port, where the bike was built out of about a hundred different bikes over about 15 years. And beats the crap out of outside my Mum and Dads house in a Souf [sic] London street where I started working on bikes in the early 70's.

So. What do you all think?

DO IT! a story is a story, is a story, and is an adventure whose miles' value multiply with each reader...

Yes, post the story so we can tell you what you're doing wrong (not that we would!?)

Where is the pissoir? Since you have a fridge (cold beer), you're going to need it. :beer: :Egyptian:

Before I waffle on I want to show you a tool I found that takes all the cussing out of removing the final drive spring clip/circlip.

[ATTACH type="full" alt="External spring clip pliers model.jpg

[attachment=0]Why they are better.jpg"]0[/ATTACH]

The short tips are the secret, most others have 3/4" long tips and you are forced to attack it from an angle.

I got these for $13 on eBay.

Attachments

• External spring clip pliers model.jpg
    External spring clip pliers model.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Why they are better.jpg
    Why they are better.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 163