Quick Question on Oil Change

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I changed my oil yesterday and realized this morning that I forgot to put in the little spring that goes in front of the oil filter. Wondering if that will be a problem.

This was not a normal oil change and I got plenty frustrated. Apparently I used gorilla glue, or the Hulk, to put the oil filter cover on the last time. Could not get the cover off; had to actually cut off the bolt with my saws-all. I have a couple of others so I just put one of them on. Then I missed the putting in the spring. Jeez.

I think flow could possibly be impeded as well, since the filter itself and the holes in the return tube won't line up. I'd pull the filter and put the danged spring in. Might take, what, 15 minutes? (including recyling the oil drained into a clean container).

Also, it doesn't take a lot of torque to get that big fat oring to seal. The size of the bolt head (12mm?) should give an indication of needed torque...or the manual.

I'm going to put the spring back in this evening. Don't have a clue why the bolt was so tight. I tend to leave them light at times. You do that when you have broken off a couple bolts. The torque wrench is my friend these days. thanks guys

I thought I heard that Honda went from 17 to 12mm on that bolt for exactly this reason. Folks were honking down on the larger bolt too much and bad stuff was happening. The smaller 12mm was to send the message of needing less torque.

Or maybe I dreamt it...

desertrefugee":16kjyv6m said:
I think flow could possibly be impeded as well, since the filter itself and the holes in the return tube won't line up. I'd pull the filter and put the danged spring in. Might take, what, 15 minutes? (including recyling the oil drained into a clean container).

Also, it doesn't take a lot of torque to get that big fat oring to seal. The size of the bolt head (12mm?) should give an indication of needed torque...or the manual.

Desertrefugee is correct in both his posts, for starters your friendly local mechanic, if you're lucky enough to have one, (I'm not.)

He'll tell you, hand tight and an 1/8th to a 1/4 of a turn, now that of course is for the cartridge type but, why should ours be any different?

It's my personal opinion that the GW design with the bolt, has left the torque, up to us.

And that's why we continually mess up.

Also, I use an 1 & 1/16" socket for mine, that's about 27mm and another reason to be careful with the torque.