Fuel pump leak?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been getting a smattering of oil/gas on the after-market chrome cover behind the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel lines within the last 3-5 years. Do the pumps leak? is it a simple replacement? Thanx, Dave

Try tightening the screws that hold that chrome cover on. Those screws(plus two more under the cover) also hold the fuel pump halves together, and if loose, can leak.

Crap I re-read your post...you say a chrome cover behind the pump? Gotta pic of it?
To answer the question, yes, the pump can leak, but they are not hard to remove/rebuild at all. I think the procedure is in the Service manual, which we have here.

P5311180.JPG

The cover I was referring to is the triangular shaped piece that covers the gap behind the carbs. I'm getting splatter on the lower part of that cover that is directly behind the fuel pump.

Check other places on that side. I've seen some fork seal leaks that put oil in many places. One guy tore the front lower cowl off a GL1800 looking for an engine oil leak that turned out to be fork seals. I had oil all the way back to the rear wheel on my '77 when I bought it. Fork seal. If it was on the other side, I'd say shifter seal.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203933#p203933:2453x40j said:
D-50Dave » June 25th, 2018, 8:47 pm[/url]":2453x40j]
I've been getting a smattering of oil/gas on the after-market chrome cover behind the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel lines within the last 3-5 years. Do the pumps leak? is it a simple replacement? Thanx, Dave
Upon further review, I replaced the fuel FILTER, not the fuel lines 3-5 years ago. :oops: I'll replace the ORIGINAL lines this weekend. I hope its that simple. :beg: Thanx, Dave

So, my cousin flew back to Phoenix Tuesday and so I used my day off Wednesday to take the stock pegs and shifter off and put my beloved after-market floorboards back on. Figured that would also be the chance to replace the fuel lines. Pulled the sidecovers off and don't really see where the moisture that sprays onto the right side could be coming from.
DSC02311.JPG

DSC02310.JPG

The left side, however, is a different story. There's plenty of moisture on that side.
DSC02312.JPG

DSC02313.JPG

The bike goes through a small amount of oil in the course of a season, maybe 3 or 4 half quart refills. uses no coolant. Getting the old lines off was a struggle, as I didn't want to remove the engine crash bars. I probably spent as much time as if I had removed them, but I prevailed in the end. Anything else I should look at on the right side? I'll take suggestions as to whats leaking on the left side, but my nature is to put the side cover back on and ignore it. :whistling:
Thanx, Dave

glvent.JPG

We had a member that had a leak in that area, and it turned out to be a folded rear cover gasket.

Yep. Looks like it is off the nipple. Could reduce oil consumption some, too. There is usually a catch can that condensate ends up in (if all is connected properly). You'll need to check and empty it each oil change. Finding new tubing, if yours is split, isn't easy. I ended up getting clear Tygon from Lowe's to replace the split tubing on my '78.

Finished replacing the fuel lines and inspected the crankcase breather hose. Looked okay, flexible, felt unsplit, and well attached. Mine is actually 2 sections mated together. I wanted to see where it went so I took off the air cleaner and found this.
DSC02317.JPG

DSC02314.JPG

DSC02315.JPG

Now there's a back story to this. A year and a half ago, I put half a bag of birdseed on the back shelf of the garage and promptly forgot about it. This spring I was cleaning up the garage and found birdseed spread all over the shelf and spilled on the floor. I'd been hosting the mouse version of an endless banquet. When awakening the GW I found a small amount of birdseed in the gas tank spill tray. I am, by nature, an ostrich. :oops: If it works, don't ask too many questions, and forget you ever saw anything. :whistling: Everything has worked fine, and in glancing at the wires in the area, they look unmolested. The mice were probably too stuffed on birdseed to take another bite.
I happened to have a 3 foot length of hose of the correct diameter (I'm a packrat and don't throw anything that might remotely be of use for something someday), so I replaced the lower section. I should have it all buttoned up tomorrow and we'll see if any of this work has made any difference. At least the air cleaner is, well, cleaner. :smilie_happy:

Don't feel bad. It's a common thing. I once found a whole cob of maze kernels in my SEi airbox. On the GL1800s, we put wire mesh from an old air filter over the intake horns. I also keep a little "snack" of Black Cat bait stick in a bait box in the trunk.

Now, back to that oil leak. It's a doozy. I'd degrease the entire back of the motor if I were you and watch it like a hawk to see where it's coming from. Then fix it. That's bad enough that it needs to be sorted and shouldn't be ignored.

I know the mouse problem feeling. On my BA RTV they have gotten into the cab and we’re crapping everywhere. So far they have eaten 5 blocks of Ratsack bait. :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204309#p204309:103j7fcz said:
desertrefugee » Today, 12:06 am[/url]":103j7fcz]
Now, back to that oil leak. It's a doozy. I'd degrease the entire back of the motor if I were you and watch it like a hawk to see where it's coming from. Then fix it. That's bad enough that it needs to be sorted and shouldn't be ignored.
desertrefugee, you'd make a terrible ostrich. Thank you for the firmness of your suggestion. It may just be enough to get my head out of the sand. Don't have any degreaser on hand. Have to go out and get some. Thanx again, Dave