Starter Clutch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I just got my motor back in for the second time this summer. I had problems with the pulse generator and it looks like was a wiring problem that I probably could have fixed with the motor in the bike. At any rate I have a question about the symptoms of a starter clutch problem.

The bike will turn over fine if I have the on/off switch turned off. When it is in the on position it will clunk and stop turning over. At one point the bike almost started after all I've done with it which was encouraging in that the wiring fix worked. But I couldn't keep the starter turning over without it clunking to a stop. It is intermittent. The noise scares the crap out of me.

I made sure that there was no fuel in the cylinders indicating a hydro lock. Do I have the symptoms of a failing starter clutch?

hmm ok wes this is starting to seem like the ignition drive pin is not in place and ignition is slipping ..i had this happen to me one time on a project bike i was doing ...why honda made this pin so loose fitting im not sure ..a guy over at NGW years ago went for months trying to figure out what was going on ...it may be something that someone else did maybe if you never had the rear ignition off the motor ...im just guessing here but i cant think of any other reason the starter works fine under no fire and not when fire is going on at the plugs but out of time cause pin is missing

When I had the motor out I did not take off the ignition the first time. When I would twist the PG clockwise this time it would stop, not just keep twisting as if that pin was out. That is how I understand it to work. Actually it would stop either way.

So, if the starter clutch was acting up it should do it even if there was no spark at the cylinders?

Test the battery. New or not, it may not have enough ooooomph. I sometimes have this same issue with my 1100. I just got in the habit of leaving the "Run" switch off until the engine was cranking over, then turning it to Run....then it'll fire right up. I did notice that I seemed to have that issue more when the battery was getting a little weak, but it happens on mine enough I just don't even try to start it with the ign in Run.

That does make sense but I had the battery load tested a couple of weeks ago at two different places. I hate the thought of taking the motor out of this thing again. I wish it was a bad battery.

I concur with joedrum. the alignment pin is not in place. refering to one of your prior post there is a picture which you state the motor is at T1. assuming this is true the rotor lug should only be about 10 degrees past one of the PG lugs. you can always just drop the swing arm instead of removing the motor to correct.

Best of luck !

Attachments

• PG Alignment.jpg
    PG Alignment.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 120
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205064#p205064:3kk1feev said:
AApple » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:25 am[/url]":3kk1feev]
Test the battery. New or not, it may not have enough ooooomph. I sometimes have this same issue with my 1100. I just got in the habit of leaving the "Run" switch off until the engine was cranking over, then turning it to Run....then it'll fire right up. I did notice that I seemed to have that issue more when the battery was getting a little weak, but it happens on mine enough I just don't even try to start it with the ign in Run.
+1 :yes:

I ended up taking the motor back out of the bike. Indeed the crankcase pin on the shaft was sheared off. See this pic.

IMG_0751.jpg

Should look like this:

Pin_1.jpg

Turns out that I have a couple of those assemblies from prior Gold Witch disasters. I replaced the shaft and put the pulse generator back together. I will align it correctly when it goes back on the bike.

While taking the case off, the large gasket tore. I went ahead and ordered another one but I'm toying with the idea of putting some gasket maker over that tear. The part is cheap, and cheap insurance, but I'll have to wait until the middle of next week to put it on and all that is involved in putting the motor back on. (I'm getting good at it).

Stupid idea?

BTW, see my new stator? That is why this all started in the first place.

When this is back in riding condition it is going on sale. $10 at this point...... Well maybe a bit more. You all have first crack at it. The number of new parts is astonishing.

Glad to hear you found the problem. By any chance did you find the broken off piece of the pin ??? I wouldnt want that to get pulled into a pump or transmission gears !