stator hellll..p #2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowesnest3

Reaction score
...... still riding with extra battery linked parallel to bike battery, some riding is better than none riding and don't have time to tear her down. Get about 150 - 175 miles, know its getting low when the turn signal won't flash! Just don't shut her down! Anyway, riding along. thinking about the "problem" I go to the "3 wires", which I have tested and they show 60 ---- 70 ---- 14, no short to ground, no continuity problem; but no charging. The amp numbers, specifically the 14, indicate from what you guys have said, stator is bad or going bad? Why don't I at least get some kind of battery charge out of the two wires putting out what they are supposed to? At least some kind of trickle? I have not pulled the "pod" to check the rectifier/regulator. Could this be the real problem why no charging? What/where do those "3 wires" do? go to? A while back I had a friend wire in a set of driving lights, that he wired directly to the battery with a dedicated switch. They worked for a little while then continually would be shorting out, maybe bad ground? Could their shorting out have caused an overload/strain on stator or rectifier resulting in bad stator/rectifier ....... no battery charge? Have long since removed lights .... till I personally reinstall ... correctly!

all three wires from the stator should be putting out much the same volt/ amps. It seems to me you are faced with the choice now of replacing the stator or installing an alternator. Regulator would be hard pressed to use only two good sources.

The alternator is 3 phase AC. The Rectifier converts that 3 phase AC power to DC.
As far as I know the system must have 3 phase power to produce a DC current so if one leg is dead it cannot work.

image.php

ok...........thanks for the info, Dan's last post stating rectifier needs all 3 legs to produce amps for charge is the answer I'm looking for ..... damn! ..... and yes I know I'm in replace the stator territory, known for a while! Pull and replace is my plan, don't like the idea of an outboard alternator, may work fine, but I'm kinda picky about looks and details, besides pulling the engine provides me the opportunity to tighten things up and look for that "knock" ..... proud member of the "knockers club" ! In the meantime I'll kinda pretend I've got a Hybrid Wing thats gotta be plugged in regularly to get down the road ...... :Egyptian: ..... Crowe

For that knock I would check my spark advancer in the PG and vacuum advance, then sync. the carbs...Mine used to have a knock until I did both of those things..

Latest posts