Modifying Lower Fairing Mounts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wichita Scorpion

Reaction score
I see on Ebay Lower Fairings for sale but all have cracks in the plastic near the bottom mounting hole.

I think Mama Honda had some design defaults. There shouldn't be that many Lower Fairings cracking around the bottom mounting hole. The top two mounting holes align without stress when the screws are inserted. The bottom mounting on my 1983 GL 1100A aligned up about on-half screw diameter too short and had to be stressed to get the screw in. The lower mounting bracket could not be adjusted to align with the bottom Lower Fairing mounting hole.

There are three spacers, each side, to keep the lower fairing mounting holes from being crushed. The long spacer goes in the bottom mounting hole.

Both of my Lower Fairings had a small crack on each one near the lower mounting hole. I repaired them with ABS cement and fiberglass tape and did not want them to crack again. I spent a couple of hours evaluating the problem and modifying the lower mounting bracket.

The lower mounting bracket is molded to fit around the bottom of the radiator shroud. Using a round (my grandpa called it a rat tail file) file, I elongated the round bolt hole. The filing has to be up and slanted toward the center of the radiator to allow the bracket to swing down and out around the shroud. Using vise grips and a crescent wrench, I bent the nut part of the mounting so it would stand vertical to the ground and align flat to the bottom Lower Fairing mounting hole. Now all three of my Lower Fairing screw mounting holes align with the frame mounting points on both sides.
Left side shown:

Attachments

• Lower Fairing Bracket off & on2.jpg
    Lower Fairing Bracket off & on2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 183
I tried several times last night to post picture but couldn't get it to work.
Huh, worked this time.
Left side shown:

Attachments

• Lower Fairing Bracket off & on2.jpg
    Lower Fairing Bracket off & on2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 184

Latest posts