Judas Priest 31f and I smell radiator fluid...help asap.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
31c this am in teh high desert. While warming old girlfriend up I see mist coming from the top of the left side of my engine. Looking down I see about 4 drops worth of coolant on top of the L head(bike still leaning to left on kickstand). I really don't think it's the head gasket, as there was no white vapor coming from the exhaust, no overheating, no leaking on ground whatsoever at work all day. On the way home from work, I again smell coolant only less obvious(no vapor), and a visual at home after shows no fluid on top of engine or ground.

Could it be a connection in that crossover tube?(yeah I know, how would you guys know)

Should I wrap her up with an old comforter tonight, temps hovering at and around 31f from 12MN-7AM(I leave @ 6:30AM)

This afternoon no mist, slight smell of coolant. Could it have been dried coolant heating up on the way home?

Some quick answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

~O~

I've been discovering o-rings that don't want to act right in this cold weather. Not the wing, but just little places in my life that use o-rings for seals. I guess they're just not as pliable when they are cold? Do you have any way to pressurize the cooling system? I just learned last month that NAPA has a cooling system dye and it works really well for finding ellusive leaks. It shows up like neon where the leak is. No more guess work!

It's the cold Omega Man.
Those O rings are notorious for leaking a bit especially when that cold.

It would be a good idea to change those O rings though because it could start leaking more now since the seal has separated a bit from the cold.

Well if the leak just started then it may be ok riding her, keep an eye on the coolant level and if the leak gets any worse. I would get on changing those O rings as soon as you can.

Had a similar problem early this year, coolant getting onto the exhaust, slight sweet smell, Etc. Checked everything that has coolant going thru it. Found the part that goes into the overflow tank was not sealing anymore due to being old and hard so replaced that and within a couple days had the same problem again. This time the top clamp on the top radiator hose and the bottom clamp on the bottom radiator hose had gotten loose and under pressure the coolant would leak out. That was most likely the problem all along and the overflow tank had nothing to do with that but the part needed replaced anyway.

dan filipi":v9zo7otq said:
O Man, did the blankets help?

Yeppers it sure did, even started like last summer.

Main thing is NO leaking whatsoever :clapping: Next year I'm going to ask vegaswingnut to help me really go through her, and those o-rings will be a high priority.

~O~

mcgovern61":1ssf9l9h said:
O-rings are cheap and easy to replace and new ones can prevent a world of trouble!

The trick is getting the inner housing clean where the tube and O ring slide into with the carbs in place.
I use a long narrow wire brush in the drill.
I've had to have one or the other side out more than once for head gasket replacements, the last couple times used high temp silicone and never a leak. A couple other times before without silicone and they leaked.

I had that same leak in my bike, and changed them out the last time I had the carbs off. I bought o-rings and gaskets from the dealer...THE DEALER I SAY!! Can you imagine? The dealer had the parts I was looking for? Whodathunk???

Changing out the four o rings might be a good idea. Especially with all the miles you have on your wing. Changing em is easy. All you,ll need is a set of o rings and a couple of water joint gaskets. ( probably get em for under $20) Let me know if you need help... :grin: :salute: