New (old) bike - temp gauge and fan not working

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
(Originally posted by Peterbylt)

I originally posted this over on the Steve Saunders site. But it is a fix for a classic so it should be here too.

The thermal switch on my 81 gl1100 has been broken for some time.

I dropped a couple of wires down and hardwired a toggle switch across it.

$80 or $90 dollars for the replacement switch seemed a little excessive.

I read on the nakedwings board that a thermal switch out of a 94 Geo Metro 1.0L was the right thread and temp so I went to Advance auto parts and bought one for $16.95.

The switch did not have the protruding extension on the inside and had different connectors but it did have the correct threads and screwed right in.

I made some little connector wire adapters so I would not have to cut the original wiring harness and I wanted to keep the bypass switch.

The switch works like a champ and comes on when it should and shuts off when it should.

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg

Peter

I know there are pros and cons to this subject, but long ago I put in a manual switch and took out the thermostat and never looked back . Temps remain constant without going up and down. In hot stop and go traffic. I just turn the fan on and it runs cooler than ever while my harley friends melt I couldnt be any happier, less parts and no blockage in the system.

Latest posts