1984 Interstate she maka me crazy no spark won't start help!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you thank you. I don't have any manuals and rely on the web. Some crazy thread said 530 ohms. I was having a freak out moment because they stuck them on the back. I would like to go to Japan and find the engineer who did that and put his pulse generators on the rear and see how if he likes it.
But now I am still at a mystery
The coils and wires check out
I cleaned all connectors I could find.
The kill switch clean and working
All the wires off the ignition except one brown wire are showing 12 volts.
I don't know how to test the ignition unit but I am starting to figure it may be the problem. It has screws on the top is there any use in taking it apart?
Oh and what is the box under the coils with the brown connector?

Actually there is nothing to repair on or in the ECM and they caution against checking the unit with a meter. You need to check the troubleshooting section in the Honda Service Manuel for the gl1200 in the Gallery on this site, there is a procedure in the ignition section to check everything. Gallery tab is at top of page, click on it and scroll down until you see the service manual. There is also an electrical troubleshooting manual in there for the 1200. Good luck!!

My old '84 Aspy had an intermittent no-spark condition that I never solved. Seemed to occur mostly when it was humid or wet - something that doesn't happen often here. I know that doesn't help you solve your problem, but at least yours is really broken. My problem was that it came and went. That made it tough. Once I started poking at it, the problem tended to just magically go away. Closely inspect all harness connections - specifically the contacts themselves. If you're suspecting the ignition control box, scrutinize the connector coming off of that box. It has a lot of guzintas and guzoutas (technical terms) that could have a bearing on your no-fire condition.

Thank you, I have been cleaning all the connectors I could. Alot of them were crusty. Coils words ignition switch kill switch pulse generators all checked out. I had the same problem right from the start it didn't like being wet. It never did run on all four cylinders only the right side and after it heated up sometimes on the left. What the hell is a spark relay???? I don't find much reference to it but its under the coils.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 66
What is that relay to the right of the ICU which supposedly the main relay? My fuel pump is not operational because of no spark condition but I read negative 12 volts on both wires. Is that normal?

Well thanks for all the help.. I finally fixed the problem. I cleaned all the connectors I could locate. And I think the pulse generator connector was not making good enough contact. It went on way too easy so I took it apart and squeezed all the connectors real tight and cleaned the hell out of them. If it is not tight enough so you need pliers to plug it in then its not tight enough. It fired right up and all four were firing... YAHOOOOO!!!

Good job !! You learned a valuable lesson in working on old wings. Wiring and connectors are one of the largest problems to deal with on them. Manuals are an investment and there is every kind of manual on the different models in the gallery. Again, nice job !!