Ontario to BC - 1985 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to start a new thread. Coming down to the wire, leave Tuesday morning for the frozen east. Brother woke up to a few flakes Saturday morning, as did Mom:
Deck Snow.jpg
Driveway.jpg
This is going to dictate the bike gear I take as well. Good note - bike is back in the garage and warming up.

Cheers

Starting to do the last bit of checking, then everything gets packed. The pictures are confirming what I will bring for riding gear. Easier to get cooler than it is warmer when riding.

Just finished boxing up the parts and such for the trip east.
Boxes.jpg
Will also have one piece of luggage to check, and two carry on as well. Helmet comes with me into the cabin.

Looking at the pictures, I'd wait for June. But then, my blood has gotten pretty thin after leaving New England. Domiciles have been Florida, Texas coast, Arizona. Notice the trend?

Anxious to follow along on this adventure!

Won't be on the road until at least 28 May, family events and friends to see. Will be posting the work I'll be doing as well. Hope to drop in on some forum members as I cross.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202403#p202403:odbxuegj said:
Rednaxs60 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:03 am[/url]":eek:dbxuegj]
Had to look at why you mention this. Kinda funny actually when you look at the boxes. Touche!
:good:

Have been back at my brother's since Tuesday. Lots going on, work is progressing well. Snow is melting and disappearing:
Snow is going.jpg
My brother had moved the bike into the garage out of cold storage last weekend:
Bike moved to Garage.jpg
When he did this he mentioned in a text that inside storage would cost be two gold bars - nor bars of gold, so I painted some steel pieces gold, wrapped the box with Xmas paper and paid my tribute. He had forgotten about this and almost lost it when he opened the box - debt paid:
Gold Bar.jpg

Have more pictures to transfer from my phone and will get to them. In the meantime, have new tires installed on the rims, the external alt mod is almost completed including the wiring for the 3 wire alternator. I modified my first set of alternator brackets, much better second time round. Decided to go this route because of the trip across to Victoria. Easier to source an external alternator than a stator en route.

The shop here did install the tires for me as I am from out of town. The local shops in the north have decided that if you don't buy your tires from them, no install. When I picked the tires up this morning, had a short chat with the owner. Mentioned that the industry is making shops go this route, but because of the cost of items from shops, the industry is making the consumer look for less expensive alternatives, catch 22 unfortunately.

Checked the tread depth of the rear tire - 8 mm - Shinko Tourmaster. Will be maintaining 40 PSI front/rear, and using the Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancing formula. Prefer this over beads. Talked with the owner about this and he was not familiar with the product. He mentioned it was easier to put the Ride On fluid in the tire than the beads.

Installing new FIAMMS Freeway Blasters so needed a relay. Have a relay installed for the sense wire to the alternator. Have a relay installed for switched power to the new auxiliary fuse block installed in the rear trunk.

This fuse block is from Eastern Beaver and is a combined power and ground unit, extremely compact as well. It's the Power Center PC-8.

Using TESA abrasion resistant tape for the added wire. Much nicer than the standard vinyl tape, and easier to work with. Does a good job and looks good as well.

Have installed the GPS mount.

Going to install the rad tomorrow, and finish up the wiring required. I estimate a start up on Wednesday next, and a lot of road tests as shake down for the trip across.

More pics to follow.

Cheers

A short update. I have just about finished all the work on the bike.

I have done:

External alt mod
Replaced TPS - had to modify to fit with the alternator - no error codes
New FIAMM horns with relay
Alt sense wire relay
Wiring installed for driving lights - fit for but not with
Rebuilt clutch slave
New tires with angle valve stems
New accessory fuse block
New 30 amp fuse for the 30 amp CFI circuit
Removed and lubed up the rear drive train
GPS custom mount installed
Rebuilt all brake calipers
New brake pads all round
Installed new rear signal lights on the rear trunk light bar. PO had a second light bar with the end signal lights
Seat and passenger back rest recovered
New timing belts
New battery

Still on track for budget.

Brought a new thermistor for the fuel sending unit. Going to replace before I head out. Like the quantity and range function on the travel computer to work - very good feature.

The last 2 1/2 years with the other bike has allowed me to get this bike ready for the trip back to BC in short order. Gave myself a week for the work necessary to do first road test and made it. This was the first time in almost 5 years that the bike was on the road, not bad.

Have some pictures that were on my iPhone. Thought I had transferred them into a separate album but had not and deleted them off the phone. Apparently I have an iCloud account and the photos may be there. Next little project is to get them back.

Here is a look at the clutch slave. Lots of crud, it's a wonder it worked. The clutch MC had crud as well and had to scoop it out with Q-tips.
Clutch Slave 1.jpg
Clutch Slave 2.jpg

Here is the bike out of the garage before first road test:
Bike Out of Garage.jpg

Another 50 Kms today for break in. Stopped at the Muddy Moose restaurant here in Larder Lake for coffee and coconut cream pie:
Muddy Moose.jpg

Yes the other item in the photo is a phone booth. They do exist.

Cheers

Thanks - getting some small issues taken care of. The PO had a second rear trunk light bar - had a bit of damage - that had the corner signal lights. I have transferred these corner lights to the light bar on the bike and wired in with OEM connectors. Now have signal lights on the saddlebags and rear trunk, also looks symmetrical.

Have been out for a couple of road tests and it has been riding like a hard tail HD. When the bike is on the centre stand the shocks are extended to 13 1/2 inches. When the bike is off the centre stand the shocks are compressed to 12 inches with no bounce. Suspect fluid and spring issue. Don't have enough time to play with this, order parts, nor the tool(s) to take the shocks apart. Found a universal set 350 mm eye to eye shocks out of Australia that will do the trick. Will take the air shocks home for rebuild. Ordered Wednesday night and expect them here Monday/Tuesday.

Took the chrome pieces off the rear to get the shocks off - know that I did not have to do this - and will use the tin foil/water trick and clean these up. Works a treat on the chrome.

Have had to chase some threads. Highly recommend a small tap and die set as part of any tool kit for these older bikes. There are a few taps that should be bottoming taps as well. Here's my brother's kit - mine does not have as many nor do I need them:
Tap-Die.jpg

Cheers

Got a bit more done on the bike while waiting for the shocks. Got some emails about the shocks. Sent Thursday and going through customs here in Canada today. Should be shipped out tomorrow hopefully, good service.

Few more items completed. I replaced the thermistor in the fuel sending unit and now have the qty and range functions. Nice fix - I'm finding it easy as well.

Cleaned up the rear chrome:
Rear Chrome.jpg

Did the TPS as one of the first items when I got here. This was the original TPS:
Aftermarket TPS 1.jpg
This is what it looks like now installed with the external alt mod. Had to cut the casing back and bend the terminals to allow for the alternator install, working good:
New TPS.jpg
Second pic of TPS install different angle:
New TPS 2.jpg
using blue loctite on the screws so these do not back off.

Did some other cleaning, Brother had a Yamaha clean and shine spray product similar to Honda's. He also had a shine spray by Kawasaki. Bike is looking good.

More to follow. Cheers.

Waiting on the new shocks to arrive. Have been looking at how to rebuild the old ones and there are two components - the upper spring with the associated seals etc, and the lower damper. Will be investigating this when I get west.

Have a metal on metal sound coming from the rear case. Looked at some old photos from the other bike and there is not a lot that can cause this. Only happens when idling. Checked the rotor bolt and it's tight. Have read and heard that a clutch stack can do this when it has been unused for a long time. In this case almost 5 years. I have been told that it may go away from regular use and oil changes. Will monitor this.

Today is a bike cleaning day, the chrome and aluminum parts. May get some grime off the FD.

Bike is looking good.

Cheers

I'm like a good woman, keeping you on the hook until it's set! :music:

Should be doing a road trip to Toronto and Ottawa this weekend. Have to come back and do some work for Mom, stay for my sister's b'day and hope to be on the road heading west approximately 28 May as planned - route to be determined - weather may play a part in it.

Getting little items done such as freeing up the passenger foot boards so they do not need 2 men and a boy to put up/down. Lubed up the signal switch, new boot for the clutch MC push rod, replaced the marker lights on the headlamp. Starting to do some cleaning/polishing. Want to get a buffing wheel for the aluminum stuff. Can't let Gerry McGovern have the only shiny front forks.

Cheers