1984 engine swap into an 1985 frame

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddlprill2004

Reaction score
does anyone no if an 1984 engine can be placed in a 1985 frame without to many modifications. I no that there is a difference in starter motors however it is attached to the motor which fits into the frame. Is there any thing like electrical that stops this from being done.

The harness provision for the ignition pulsers will be in front on the '85. '84 pulsers are on the rear of the motor. That I know for sure. It's pretty easy to just extend that connector forward. I seem to recall there might be a difference with the transmission gear indicators. But, this may just be a difference between Aspencade and Interstate. Hopefully, someone smarter will be along shortly.

Bottom line: There are no show stoppers to doing this.

Can you tell me more about how you relocate the pulse gen wires from the front of an 85 to the rear of an 84? Did you just splice a 3 foot wire in the middle of it or was there more to it? I'm putting an 84 in n 85. The 85 had them in the front and the 84 I'm putting in has the pulse gen in the rear. Can I just splice in a length of wire and go with it?

Hello, I also have an 84 motor in an 86 frame. To connect the pulse generators, you only need to connect the colored wires of one connector to the same colors of the other connector. I believe they are 4-pin sockets. You need 4 pieces of about 20 - 25 cm cable. Have fun