Oil choice?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I just changed oil and filter.

Used Delo 400 SDE 15w-40 and a K&N KN401 filter. The o-ring for the filter was pretty thin compared to the one already in, so I just reused the old ring for now.

But...now I hear a slight ping at idle....did i use the wrong oil? It's 93 degrees here today.

No problem reusing the old o ring. The thicker ones are stout rubber and could be reused for several oil changes as long as it doesn’t leak.

The noise hard to judge without hearing it, but my bet is as long as the oil pressure light goes off, all is fine.
Did the spring and washer go back in place?

Our bikes were manufactured years before the use of friction additives and the JASO standard. The OEM requires the use of oils that meet or exceed SAE SE/SF standards ( superseded by today's SAE SN standard), be a high quality, high detergent oil and no additives required.

The oil you have used looks good as long as the API donut has no indication in the lower half that there are energy conserving/friction modifiers added. The lower half of the donut should be blank. Here are pics of what you want to see and can purchase, and what you do not want to purchase.

Purchase oil that has this type of API donut:
API-CK-4-Donut-10W-30.jpg

Do not purchase oils with this type of API donut:
api donut energy conserving.jpg

Cheers

The Jaso standard came out in 1999. There is the JASO MA and MA2 standard. The JASO standard basically states that there are no friction/energy conserving additives in the oil and it is good for wet clutch applications. The difference between JASO MA and MA2 standards is that JASO MA2 standard is suitable for engines that have catalytic converters. If you don't have a catalytic converter either standard is good.

I believe the washer goes between the spring and the rubber seal of the oil filter cartridge. Someone correct me, it's been awhile since I've changed oil filter.
The washer provides a "seat" for the spring. I don't think anything bad would happen without it. Many would get left out as the washer sticks to the rubber and gets thrown away.

Saw another fellow mention the washer in the filter and a picture was shown. My two GWs don't have it but it is shown on the parts fiche and goes where Dan has mentioned. Time to get a couple from my local parts guy, or try to find one to fit. As Dan mentions, hasn't hurt my rides, but probably good to have.

Cheers

My '75 engine didn't have the washer, either. I still need to find one. I put a new spring on it as the old one looked over-compressed. I use the Rotella white jug 15W40, which should be very similar to the Delo.