1984 Interstate she maka me crazy no spark won't start help!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
I have a real strange situation. I was having trouble with the left side firing and it was only on the right side it was running. I went to start it after checking the pulse generator connector and it wouldn't start at all. I have cleaned the coil wire connections, changed plugs. What can I check to see if the ignition is getting power? I can't seem to find what wires I need to check with probe to track down the problem. Thanks

Is it possible you have water in the plug wells? That's the downhill side. If it was the front two plugs or the rear two plugs, we might suspect the coil. But not if both bad actors are on one side.

And welcome back stranger !!

Pulse generators plug into the harness on the battery box. Next to the stator connection. Check to see if that is making good contact. Also check your kill switch.

Ok will do. Some of the crazy history of bike. The drains were clogged one time and the bike quit in heavy rain. It was only running on 2 cylinders then suddenly it went real smooth and was running on all 4 then as it got more soaked it finally quit. I cleaned out all the drains but it would only run on the 2 right cylinders. I cleaned the wires to the coils which were corroded. I had trouble with starter which was corrosion again. I got spark tester and went to check spark. And I decided to check pulse generator plug. Right after that the engine wouldn't start at all. It was uncovered during a rain storm and I am going to check the kill switch again. I just had that apart. The bike has only 35000 on it. I doubt the pulse generators quit.
The other problem is the back left carb that has the vacuum attachments is clogged I took out the bowl screw and no gas came out. I just bought the box with all 4 carbs and the guy said they worked. NOT!!!!!!!
I had to come back. What would you guys do without all my crazy problems???

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204204#p204204:2ls0wpez said:
Nightcorona » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 am[/url]":2ls0wpez]
I had to come back. What would you guys do without all my crazy problems???

Oh....there's plenty of us around that still have enough of those crazy problems to keep us all busy!!! :yes: :hihihi:

I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as desertrefugee...doesn't make sense that a problem with a coil, or pulse generator would cause a problem on ONE SIDE of the engine only. That would seem to point to a plug/plug wire problem to me....just sayin... :whistling:

Yes quite correct on the clogged issue. The rear left has no gas in the bowl. The left front does have gas. I tried to get it to turn over using starter fluid but no luck. All of them are not firing since I messed with stupid pulse generator plug. I haven't had a chance to do everything people have suggested yet but I do know one carb must come off. Anybody got good suggestion on where I can order carb kits for decent price that will show up in a couple of days?

If you don’t split the plenum or remove the carbs from the plenum, you might need only bowl gaskets if you’re doing only a cleaning. May not even need those. Depends how much of a “rebuild” you want to do.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204237#p204237:1bwymbg4 said:
Nightcorona » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:44 am[/url]":1bwymbg4]
Yes quite correct on the clogged issue. The rear left has no gas in the bowl. The left front does have gas. I tried to get it to turn over using starter fluid but no luck. All of them are not firing since I messed with stupid pulse generator plug. I haven't had a chance to do everything people have suggested yet but I do know one carb must come off. Anybody got good suggestion on where I can order carb kits for decent price that will show up in a couple of days?

2 weeks to get here but price is right - 4 kits for $35 or $11 for 1 kit
https://stores.ebay.com/daminedingtaiwan/

Ok small update on the mystery. I checked kill switch it was fine. I checked key switch plug which very corroded but still no luck. The drains were clear and I switched spark plugs. Anybody know how I can tell if the ignition unit is getting power? I am starting to wonder if that is the problem? I haven't tore the key switch part yet.

1531354797459-148268642.jpg
Ok, update on no spark problem. With the test light I got hot 12 v on every wire except the brown one which I don't know what that one is?
On the module on the right plug with less wires I get hot on every one except the green wire. The left larger plug I get only a dim light off the blue wire and the rest no voltage. Does this tell anybody something??? Oh and the relay on the right of the ignition module only has power to the white wire combination.

also there is -12 volts on both wires on fuel pump. And I was wrong on the left larger plug on the module the white wires both have -12 volts.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204420#p204420:oirofe7z said:
Nightcorona » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:21 pm[/url]":eek:irofe7z]
Ok, update on no spark problem. With the test light I got hot 12 v on every wire except the brown one which I don't know what that one is?
On the module on the right plug with less wires I get hot on every one except the green wire. The left larger plug I get only a dim light off the blue wire and the rest no voltage. Does this tell anybody something??? Oh and the relay on the right of the ignition module only has power to the white wire combination.
file.php
Your black/yellow in the connector looks fried! The brown color to the plastic on the connector usually indicates a burned connector or wire.

POST CORRECTION
THE BROWN WIRE IS ON THE IGNITION SWITCH PLUG
THE RIGHT PLUG ON IGNITION MODULE IS ALL WIRES are 12 volts except green
THE LEFT PLUG HAS -12 VOLTS ON THE WHITE WIRES
THE FUEL PUMP HAS -12 VOLTS ON BOTH WIRES.
HELP!!! DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG OR WHAT I CAN DO?
I am assuming it might be a power failure the coils.

Ok I pulled the coils out and tested the primary was 2.9 which is in the limits and the secondary
Was 24.5 one and 25.4 on the other so that is ok. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CHECKED THE PULSE GENERATORS AND BOTH READ 1.27 K. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? I read on the forums that they were supposed to be 530 ohms. If that is correct then they are both bad, but how did they both quit at the same time and the bike only has 35000 on it? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

According to Honda service manual for gl 1200 the pulse gens should have 1200 +/- 100 ohms resistance at 68 F. There should also be an air gap of 0.40 to 0.90 mm between between pulse gen rotor and pickup.