1986 Interstate ignition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgfever

Reaction score
Still trying to get sons 1200 started again. Had multiple wiring issues and thought I had them all worked out. Apparently Not!
Replaced the regulator and plug, replaced the starter diode and burned wires. Checked most of the wiring harness out.
I have a clamp on timing light that I am using to check for spark and I am only seeing pulses on the left rear plug.
How is that possible?
I checked out the coils and both read the correct resistance on both the primary and secondary sides. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks everyone. I’ll check all thos recommendations. The plug wires are quite old and likely the plugs as well. :roll:

I am down to the ignition module or one of the pulse modulators. I have spark on the rear cylinders only. I’ll need to check on how to test the spark modulators. By the way, are the primary wires of the coils polarity sensitive? If the wires were reversed, would that coil work?
Thanks again for all of your help.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204674#p204674:1f63bnam said:
dan filipi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm[/url]":1f63bnam]
I would swap the primary wires from one coil to the other. That would at least rule out a bad coil if the spark moves to the 2 front cylinders.
Hey, good idea! Thanks, I’ll try that. I did notice that my primary voltage on that one is under 10 volts so it could be a bad connection.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204673#p204673:2lhglen5 said:
backlander » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:32 pm[/url]":2lhglen5]
Wiring for coils and Pg’s.
Well, I did swap the wires and it actually started! Of course only running on two cylinders! :roll: I have no voltage on that coil with the ignition switch and the kill switch on. Does that confirm a bad ignition module? The connectors to the ignition modules and the coils all look good.
Thanks.

Oops, I forgot to check the pulse generators! :Awe: I guess I should find that plug and check the resistance of both. Can anyone point me to the location?

PG’s on 85 through 87 model 1200’s are behind the timing belt covers, look for a plug coming out from the top of th cover and the block that has a white/yellow and yellow lead for cyl 1&2 and a white/blue and blue lead for cyl 3&4.

Ok, I do have a bad pulse generator. Now I have another question. This is a 86 so the pulse generators are under the timing belt cover. Can I get at them without removing the engine? It sure doesn’t look like it at first glance.

Yes you can leave the motor in, when I was in there I removed the radiator for more working room, plus it was time to drain, flush and refill any ways.

Thanks. I’m torn about doing any more to this bike. The son has a newer Harley now so he will sell or scrap this one out. The pulse generators are going for about $90 and the tires are shot. Makes me wonder if he would be better off just scrapping it out. I don’t have any voltage at that coil. Will a bad PG cause this or is the ignition module also suspect?