Look at my rear brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
My rear brakes seemed to be sticking so I took the caliper apart and greased the slides as I assumed that was the problem. I also replaced pads. When I put it back together I still noticed some issues as the rear brakes were getting hot.

I looked closer from the rear and noticed the inner pad was cockeyed. Very weird. Upon further investigation when I took the caliper apart again, I noticed the spring retainer clip thing seems to have some damage. Note the picture. One of the prongs is missing and one seemed bent out of shape.

I am guessing this is the reason for the cockeyed inner pad and the heating. Thus I am going to replace the retainer spring.

Does that seem correct?

Attachments

• IMG_4604.JPG
    IMG_4604.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 121
From your pics, the clip is dirty and I cannot tell the damage you point out. If you think it’s damaged, replace it. They are still available at mother Honda. The piston looks like it has crud around it? Have you removed the pistons? I recommend you take the caliper apart, clean it up well and replace the seals, then replace the clip and both pads. Not having a pic of the pads removed from the caliper, my thought is that inside pad got cocked when it was installed (some pads have a chrome plate on the backside and a washer with the rivet head, it can catch on the washer). I just rebuilt both front calipers today and the clips looked very similar in condition to yours. I’m rebuilding my rear caliper tomorrow along with the mc. When I see the rear caliper clip on mine, I’ll compare and give you a better answer then. Let me know what you did.

Alan

Latest posts