1985 LTD Mid-Life Refit

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I was in the Navy, and it is now time to do some maintenance on the '85 LTD. With the new to me '95 1500 being a buy and ride, with a few things needed, I will be able to analyze and do some work on the 1200 engine, clean the dirt from the bike's adventure ride when I went to the upper island. That fine sand/dust you get from gravel roads when it is bone dry, and you add some water, turns to cement.

I have been thinking about the exhaust smell on start up, and why I have not been able to clean it up. I know the compression isn't the best, and because of this, I went for a search of the net and there is a direct correlation between exhaust emissions and engine compression. The less cylinder compression, the more inefficient the fuel burn, the less fuel being burned and more out the tailpipe. With this in mind, I'm thinking that the heads will have to be taken off, cleaned up, valves lapped, new seals as a minimum. As for the rings, these can be renewed, been viewing some YouTube videos on fitting rings - Canuckxxx did this to his engine as well. Sidecar Bob over on the NGW forum also rebuilt an older wing with a sidecar. We have the technology.

Want to address the "clunk" I have in the FD when starting off in first. Been there forever, but never did a thorough check of the FD such as the backlash.

Have some wiring to clean up especially after I did a better job on the second '85 LTD from Ontario.

Once this is done I think the bike will again be in fine shape. I have thought about a possible engine replacement, but old is old regardless of how you look at it.

I have been purchasing the parts and pieces I think will be needed for an engine rebuild, the items I could source, and have a list of items that are being used that may not necessarily be motorcycle related, but do work. I have never done an engine rebuild like this, auto engines are so much easier.

To start I have a new water pump and gasket set, rear engine cover gasket. Going to order a gasket set for cylinder head R and R. Looking for a new drive chain, and have sourced a new shift indicator switch - one from a 1500 should/will work. Have to look at what Canuckxxx did on his engine for piston rings, but seem to recall that there are new pistons and rings out there. Con rod bearings are not available and no specs as well.

It's a new adventure and project. Going to do a lot of planning, may enlist the services of my OCD planner, Sonya, to assist in this task. Be nice to have her involved as well.

More to follow. Cheers

Starting to look for and purchase what I need. Found a primary chain on the net for less than $50.00 USD. Crankshaft bearings are not available. Rings can be used from other sources. Will be looking for new or good used shifter items - will keep a list of what is available and only order if necessary.

Going to be a good project.

Latest posts