1984 Interstate Gl1200 won't restart without delaying 30 min

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
I am trying to work through the problems. Now I have a situation where if I go somewhere and then the bike off. It will attempt to turn over but will only turn a small amount. If I wait 30 minutes or more then it will suddenly turn over no problem. Is this a battery or starter problem? I replaced the starter last year, but the battery is from walmart and 3 years old. Did anybody try the new lithium ion batteries they have now?

My vote is for the battery. 3 years from a WallyWorld cheapie is twice the average. A warm engine is tighter, and therefore harder to turn over, than a cold engine. Just my $.02. Dave

it could go either way I suppose but connections are my first go to. Battery might be bad but if it will jump off a non-running car that may tell you something. Depending on the starter rebuilt or new ones nowadays I've had them cake up inside with carbon and old brush residue that can't escape from the starter really gum up the works. That's usually when mine start weirdly when they are warm. I just take them apart, clean them out. Maybe put brushes in if needed and I'm back in business. A bad ground to the engine can also cause this. A bad battery can do it too and cause the starter to cook brushes pretty quick.

Ok since I replaced the starter a year ago I would say everyone is right bout the battery. Since wally world batteries aren't that great. Has anyone tried the new lithium ion batteries yet? They should be tougher then the older ones or there is AGM also.

The higher end sport bikes come with Lithium battery now, as did my sons Ducati. He bought one for his last bike, the BMW S1000RR. They are light, like it's a demo of a regular battery. It was 1/2 again more $ than a good AGM.
On a $20K+ canyon carving sport bike I think the weight savings is worth the price, not so much on our beasts.