1500 Gurus..this one's fer YOU...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So....I pull into the garage this evening after the ride home frum werk. Nothing interesting, just a normal ride. Flip on the fan(in da garage) I use to cool the engine down after riding, turn the key off to unlock the trunk, get my stuff out, take me gear off, etc. I always crank it up after I got everything out of the trunk, to let the coolant circulate a little, and cool the engine a bit more. Today, however....it dint happen. Turnt the key on, hit the Start button, and....nuttin. I did notice the turn sig indicators were both ON, as were the front and rear turn sig lights. WTF? Headlight goes off whent he start button is pushed, as normal. Turn sigs do NOT blink, when on. Oh yeah...the Neutral light is also on..in every gear. Checked ALL fuses, ground from batt., etc. , but nothing out of whack there. Gave up, went in, and et me supper. Went back out thinking it would magically fix itself.....it dint. :Doh2:
Mess with it for a while, pull all the plastic off to get to the ignition switch, thinking there's something with it. I know it has to be a ground issue, or feedback, but from where? So I jack around with it, wiggling stuff, tapping relays, pulled clutch lever in, and so on. Then...I decide to check to see iffin the brake lights work(grasping at straws). Pull the front lever and PRESTO! Turn sig indicators and lights go off, and it cranks right up....repeatedly. Werks fine now. :headscratch:
We do not have a wiring diagram in the Gallery, so I'm at a loss to explain what the heck happened. I have see this on cars with a bad turn sig switch. On automotive stuff, the brake light circuit runs thru the turn sig switch so the front turn sigs do not come on when you hit the brakes, but....bikes have separate turn sig/brake lights/bulbs, so the brake circuit should not be going thru the turn sig switch. However, since I do not have a wiring diagram, I cannot confirm this, so....I have no friggin CLUE what the heck caused this....anyone have an idea?

Otay...I looked some more, and found wiring diagrams for the '94 1500, but....they're so small I can't make anything out. Enlarging them doesn't help...it just distorts them even more...sigh... :fiddle:

Do you have reverse on your Interstate Joel. If so there are 8 diodes in the circuit. I have a downloaded copy from Goldwing Docs of the 94 service manual and it seems pretty comprehensive. I didn’t work out if the brake light switch has anything to do with the reverse/ starting circuit yet.

joedrum":2ejjed1v said:
Well at least it’s working now
I would rather it didn’t work. Intermittents are a bitch.
Around here you get your ass ran over if your bike suddenly quits.
I’d be digging in, find what happened.

Fired up fine this mernin, rode in no problems. Got to the shop, took all my gear off, turned the key on to see, and....dammmmit....did it again. Hit the brake lever and all is well again. :headscratch:

Need to figure out what the turn sigs and brakes have to do with NO CRANK issue. That's what's got me cornfused.

:yes: I also think it is a ground problem as far as the lights go. I wanna know why whatever it is keeps it from cranking.....what's the correlation? I needs to find a good, readable wiring diagram for the '96 Innerstate. I'm leaning to it being something with the ignition switch, since everything powers up thru the ign switch. The search continues... :read:

Does it have Cruise control? The brake/clutch handles have micro switches in them to automatically kill the CC if either handle is depressed.

Maybe has something to do with that? Also, the headlight goes out if you hit the starter switch when running.

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201772#p201772:27ar8a4n said:
Omega Man » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:57 pm[/url]":27ar8a4n]
Does it have Cruise control? ~O~

Innerstate= No cruize control :eek:k:

detdrbuzzard":27ar8a4n said:
has your bank angle sensor been replaced

Afaik, the Innerstate does not have self canceling turn signals....so no bank angle sensor. If we assume it DOES have self cancel, then then answer would be I do not know. Not since I've had it, anyway.

Another interesting development....on the ride home today, I hit the right turn sig, moved over a lane, and...engine shut down! I quickly pulled the front brake lever slightly, and engine fired back up, backfiring thru the exhaust! I was askeerd to use the turn sigs after that for a few miles, but then eventually did, with no issues. That was really fun(not).
At this point, I really believe the issue is with the friggin ignition switch. I'm still looking for a wiring diagram I can READ, but, I think Imma gunna hafta either replace the iggy switch, or take it off and clean/repair it, like I did on the Turd a while back. :builder:

Eureka! I have found, and dloaded excellent wiring diagrams that have been color-coded...and modified to PDF files. I can enlarge and READ them perfectly! Now to study and see what the heck is going on... :yahoo:

btdt...no help. I cannot enlarge them enough to read...they get too distorted. I did find diagrams, tho...see my edited post above. :thanks: :yes:

Short update...
Wiring diagram(for the '94I) DOES show a bank angle sensor. Don't know what that would have to do with the specific issue I'm having, but it's something to look into. :good:

Best I can tell from the wiring diagram, the ONLY thing all of the systems in question have in common is the ground. I took the ground from the batt cable to the engine off yesterday to check/clean it. There was a separate wire with an eyelet on it under the cable terminal the went up into the fairing on the right side....and was attached to air...nothing. funny thing tho, when I removed the bolt holding the cable(s) to the engine, it was wet with something. Not gooey, but wet. I thunk that was purdy strange. No corrosion or anything, so I cleaned that stuff up, sanded the engine area and the batt cable terminal, and the bolt. Put it back together and made sure the bolt was tight. No problems yesterday on the ride home, but not sure if that "fixed" the problem or not. I also loosened & re-tightened the bolt holding the ground cable to the frame while I wuz there.
Imma wondering if what was on the bolt was an anti-seize compound or something.....I guess it's possible. It had a slight copper coloring to it, but it was a pretty thin liquid, not pastey.
Weatherman suggested it MIGHT be wet this afternoon, so I dint ride it today...dangit.

bank angle sensor on a 1500 wing cut the motor off if the machine is dropped faulty one will shut the engine off any time, call a dealer and have them run your vin to see if your sensors have been replaced

Thanx William. Just wish I could qualify that being the problem with the lighting issue.
However...... :sensored: :sensored: Dam thing left me stranded on the side of the road this mernin, aboot 3 blocks frum the house. :Awe: Taping the brakes dint "fix" it this time, tho. I even disconnected/reconnected the battery to see if it would help, but noooooooo. I had to hoof it back to the house, and get Mama to call the insurance folks to get it towed back to the house, then i had to haul butt to werk....I wuz already an hour late. :blush:
So here it is, 12pm here, and Mama called and said the JUST NOW got it to the house. She drove up there a couple hours ago to see what was taking so long, and the idiot guy(HER words) said he dint realize it would be so heavy, and he couldn't load it by hisself, so he wuz waiting on someone to come help. She said they told her it started onced for them......but then it dint start again.
Sooooo......they unloaded it right in front of the garage door....which some of you may remember is on a pretty steep incline. :rant:

I had her go out and stick a brick under the rear tire to keep it from rolling back down the frigging driveway. Then, she calls back and says she has to run down to the Dr's office about a bill she don't owe, so now the dang thing is sitting out in front of the house.....on a hill..... with NO ONE to watch it. When it rains, it POURS..... :crying: :fiddle:

Happy Monday, youse guys!! :BigGrin: