What now? (noise)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
I gits to werk this mernin, turn the ignition off, and take my lunch and stuff out of the trunk. I hear this noise...and then it stops....then it starts again...then stops. It's a timed cycle. It keeps doin this, and I'm tryin to determine if it is the bike, or something in the shop, or what. I lean down, and it seems to be a noise from the fairing area on the right side. It sounds similar to an electric fuel pump running. I go inside and get the other feller to come out and see if he can hear what I hear....he does. It makes the noise for aboot 5 seconds, then it goes off for aboot 10-15 seconds, then comes back...it just kept repeating. It's definitely comin from the bike, but what the heck is it? He says it sounds just like the fuel pump on his crotch rocket. Otay...but....I've had this bike for almost 2 years now, and I have never heard the fuel pump run, and this thing is cycling on/off...with the key off, and completely out of the ignition switch. Anyway....I decide to take the gas cap off, and lissen to see if the noise can be heard comin from the tank. Soon as the gas cap comes off, the friggin noise stops. :headscratch: Imma tinkin it might have been a purge valve solenoid, or something like that, emissions related, as there was a little pressure in the tank as I took the cap off, but no more than normal. The tank was low on fuel, but prolly still had at least 1- 1.5 gallon in it.

I fill this thing up every other day, so the fuel level gets to the same low level every other day...why the noise today, if the low fuel was the cause?

Just weird.... perhaps the bike knows it's aboot to turn 20,000 miles since I bought it, and it started the celebration early? :hihihi:

The vent lets air in. Not out. If it's working properly. So yes it could have been under a good amount of pressure trying to hold a lot of vapor in. BTW can't get much vapor in a full tank.

Does have a fuel pump relay, but it is under the side cover on the left side....the noise sounded like it was coming from the right side of the fairing. I'll hafta lissen Monday after I get to work and see if it does the same thing again. If it does, then it most likely has something to do with the fuel level & pressure in the tank. :thanks:

This noise kinda sounded like a high frequency buzzer, really. The on for 5 seconds-off for 15 or so has me stumped, also. Why would the fuel pump be doing that, especially with the ignition off? I think it must have been something to do with the emissions crap, like a purge solenoid or something. We'll see if it does it again Monday after I get to work....it will have the same amount of fuel in it then. :popcorn:

Guess I could actually check the Service Manual, and see where the emissions related solenoids and stuff are....