Oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:rant:
So....a couple/3 months ago I had to put another alternator on the 1500, the second one since I've had it. Now...aboot two weeks ago I noticed an oil drip under it at the shop. Pulled the side covers, and sure nuff, the alternator is leaking. Pulled it off, and put a new o-ring, dabbed a widdle pookie on it, and put it back together. Damn thing is STILL leaking, but....it ain't leaking at the o-ring seal....it's leaking from the inside of the alt. I assume there is some sort of seal on the shaft between the drive plate, and the inside of the alt to keep oil out of the alt....and off the ground. I hope it's more than just a sealed bearing up there.
Now I gotta get ahold of DB Electrics and see if they're gunna take care of this, or if I'm just gunna get f'd. I did put new brushes in the "old" one I took off when I installed this one, so I do have a spare, and will prolly change it out this weekend, if I have the time.
:head bang:

E-mail inquiry has been sent. Waiting for reply.... :popcorn:

Well....I found the major oil leak. Remember a few days ago when I posted aboot running over a chain in the road? Apparently, it hit on an oil galley plug, and loosened it....creating a leak at the front of the engine.

I was able to tighten this plug aboot two rounds to get it snugged back up, and not leak. Now Imma gunna look in the service manual to find out what this particular plug is for. It's definitely in an oil galley. I cleaned the bottom of the engine off, and looked closely to make sure there was nothing else damaged, or cracked....dint see anything else. Whew! :BigGrin:

Haven't heard back from DB Electric yet on the alt leak. If they don't respond by tomorrow, I'll call them. I held off on replacing the alt until I here from them. I know for a fact it is still leaking, because that leak started well before me running over the chain.

I will add that up until this point, there has never been any sort of leak on this bike. The engine has always been dry, and clean. :rant:

I dint run over the chain in the garage.... :hihihi:

Apparently, sending DB Electrics a copy of the receipt for the alt wasn't enough info...they responded with a request for my name and shipping address........which is ON the receipt.... :Doh2: :doh:

DB Electrical":1779mbac said:
Return the item to DB Electrical, 664 Eastern Star RD, Kingsport TN. 37663; write the RMA # DB14***** on the outside of the box. Place a note inside the box asking for a replacement. We will issue a replacement when the item is returned
We recommend that you ship it back with a tracking number. DB Electrical is not responsible for lost packages.

So....I guess I'll be swapping it out this weekend, putting on the one I replaced the brushes in earlier this year. Sure hope it works :beg: ....otherwise, I'll be trapped in a cage for a few days. :crying:

I checked it this morning...the leak at the front of the engine was fixed by tightening the plug that got knocked loose by the chain incident. However...the alternator itself is still pee-ing oil out of it.