GL1500 serious rattle on deceleration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started about two weeks ago. When I leave off throttle I get a noticeable rattle that seems to be coming from forward of center in the motor. No noise on acceleration or cruising. It's more pronounced in lower gears. The motor is running good with no loss of power. No backfiring. Just this God awful rattle. Timing belts were changed two years ago. I considered the water pump but wouldn't it rattle constant if it was dying? Got me scratching my head trying to figure out this noise.

I’d have a look at the timing belts tension and tensioners, since on decel the other side goes slack. It’s worth piece of mind anyhow to rule that out.

Was just thinking too, if tensioner bolts were loose, the tensioner pulleys could make quite a racket getting knocked around by a belt.

I was going to check the water pump so while I'm there I'll pull the covers and check the tension bolts. Since it only happens on deceleration do you think I could rule out the transmission?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205458#p205458:dvakm48v said:
Dadster » Today, 4:04 pm[/url]":dvakm48v]
I was going to check the water pump so while I'm there I'll pull the covers and check the tension bolts. Since it only happens on deceleration do you think I could rule out the transmission?
I really couldn’t say either way on that. Sorry.

Well couldn't wait so tore into the GL1500. Water pump checks out and so do timing belts and tensioners. Not sure what to do next. Maybe check the heads. Gotta walk away and think about it.

Damn, was hoping one of those was it.
Hard to nail down a noise like this since it can carry thru the bike, and while riding it’s hard to listen around.
Have you tried running on the Center stand?
I’d do that and use a stick or long screw driver to ear and various places.

I HAVE seen where a internally rusty muffler will vibrate on deceleration only. Have you checked this as a potential problem. Please let us know how you fared on your problem.

Thanks and good luck!

Me too Joe. I keep checking Ebay and salvage auctions. Sooner or later I'll find what I need. In the meanwhile I have the 1200 single carb that has to get done plus an 82 CM250 custom just about ready to go so I'll be busy.

Would like to see progress on the SCC set up on the 1200 bike ...we seem to have lost some SCC projects now days ....I’m a firm believer in that a strait carb brings better performance and reliability and mpg to a wing ....